Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jpcharlton  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:05:22 AM(UTC)
jpcharlton

Groups: Registered

The door frame, behind the freezer door is always very warm. I suspect that there is a heater to keep thise area from water condensation. The last week or so I noticed that this is always on (very warm). I could not tell what the heater part is from the diagrams online, so I can't even say the xxx heater is always on, or look for it in the forum. Any suggestions would be of great value at this time.

Thanks to kooler & denman for your help on this. The problem was both dirty condenser coils under the unit and a bad condenser fan. The coils were very dirty, but the main problem was a stopped condenser fan. The fan was in good shape, but a mouse had sacrificed his life trying to stop that fan, and he succeded until today. After I cleaned out the dead mouse and a ton of dust the fridge is working just fine. There is no more excessive heat around the freezer door.

The method I used to clean the coils was: I first vacuumed as much as I could, then I put the vacuum hose near the coils and used a tooth brush to free the dust from the coils. Without using the vacuum while brushing, dust was all over me. Have a great day!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:12:12 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Your suspicions are correct JP; condensation can collect and even freeze a door gasket to the cabinet so when you pull it open it damages the gasket hence the need for a heater... There's definitely some problems with the diagrams for your model; I see a defrost timer but not one listed in the parts list... Some models use an energy switch that will let you turn off the power going to the door heater but that's only certain ones... The door heat may be hotter to the touch if there's voltage irregularities that some houses experience but I think you would see problems elsewhere (electronic equipment) besides your fridge... You should call APPros with parts questions with this model, I'm not much help with this one, sorry... cheers, kooler
denman  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 3:22:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Often this is dirty condenser coils under the unitand/or a bad condenser fan.

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html
See Item 18.

Item 4 may also be useful.
Cleaning coils is a pain.
The way I do mine is to remove the rear cover and the kick plate.
Then roll the unit to an open door.
Then blow it out with a compressor, most of the dust ends up outside.
I have been told a leaf blower also works well.
You may not be able to do this depending on the kitchen setup.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
crberry50  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:04:54 PM(UTC)
crberry50

Groups: Registered

Hi Guys:
You led me to the answer, I fixed it. Thank you.
My Frigidaire was hot to the touch on the side panels adjacent to the top freezer doors, and it seemed that the compressor would rarely if ever stop running. This went on for two months after an apartment move, before searching this forum. Per the other items posted here.... I pulled the unit away from the wall, removed the three screws holding the 'card board' cover and removed the cover. When I got the cover off, the compressor was running, very hot to the touch, and the fan adjacent to the cooling fins was not turning. A strip of foam rubber had found it's way into the fan (not a mouse as in the other post). A gentle tug on the foam rubber was all that was needed to remove the strip of foam rubber and the fan immediately started running. Within a matter of 10 minutes or so, the side panels next to the freezer were cooled down, not hot at all. It seems Frigidaire has a bad design with the foam rubber strip.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply