Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nottheaveragejoe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:04:49 AM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave Microwave hood combination. Built in Dec 2002.
The trouble is it does not heat. Everything else seems to work. Lights, fans, keypad & turntable. Cannot tell any difference in any way except it doesn't cook.

I have found the multi-page "tech sheet" and have done the following.

the key table test mode, ( for the relays) ( no error codes on screen)
all the fuses, the three door switches, and traced the connections from the electrical plug through to the main fuse and beyond (for continuity).
I have checked the humidity sensor, and a couple thermostats that I could get to.
I have visually inspected the different boards for any signs of over heating or "smoking" action and found nothing.
I have not resorted to any mesurements on any active circuts, just following along what the tech sheet is saying.
I was thinking that the cause might be something simple, but at this point, I am missing something, or looking in a totally wrong direction. Would anyone have any ideas as in what direction to look, based either on make/model, or symptoms?
Not sure how "good" the tech sheet is.
Thanks in advance for anything you could contribute!

Joe
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rmotorco  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:36:16 AM(UTC)
rmotorco

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the same model and I am having the same problem.
Nottheaveragejoe  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:06:51 AM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

Originally Posted by: rmotorco Go to Quoted Post
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the same model and I am having the same problem.

Yep ! bad magnatron.

ordered replacement ( about $50) and installed it, now everything works.

I had to take the whole unit down and the whole outside metal housing off to get into change it.

The little tech sheet in the micro wave had some testing parameters for the magnatron, which mine failed. Couldn't be sure untill I replaced it, but that was it.
rmotorco  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:17:20 AM(UTC)
rmotorco

Where did you order your part? I have already taken it down. Was it hard to replace after that? Thanks
Nottheaveragejoe  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:43:13 PM(UTC)
Nottheaveragejoe

Originally Posted by: rmotorco Go to Quoted Post
Where did you order your part? I have already taken it down. Was it hard to replace after that? Thanks

I ordered it from here ( apliancpartspros.com). They seemed to be cheaper than sears or anywhere else.

This was the part...AP3881382 (8206317) Magnetron

But you might want to double check your model and numbers before you order.

If you are handy with figuring out how things come part, and keeping track of where they go, you should do fine. Just have to take the top and sides off, I thik the bottom too, in order to get to the side cavity. Then some of the plastic framework on the right side, and the magnitron is a metal housing with four screws up into the metal frame work. The hardest part I had was one of the screws holding in the magnatron was stripped. and if yours is like mine...two of the screws have nuts on the top...the two outer most screws to the right.

It really wasn't too bad. Probably took two hours trying to figure out everything and going slowly. could do it now in half the time probably.
Take some pictures as you go to help remember if you need to.
kevinh444  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:29:47 AM(UTC)
kevinh444

I have one with the same problem, everything works fine but does not cook or heat at all (Kenmore Microhood model; 3636270220), I went to appliancepartspro.com, The Magnetron for my model is 155.68 from there, I can buy a new microhood for 175.99 from sears. Check your model, it may be cheeper