Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sandman  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 6:05:12 AM(UTC)
Sandman

Groups: Registered

Hello Sir,

I have a bad motor coupling(for direct drive washers) I purchase the part numAP3963893 to replace. How can I seperate the motor from the pump?
To replace the part.

Sand
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Martcopolo  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 2:16:00 PM(UTC)
Martcopolo

Hey, I have the same question regarding my Amana washer; how do I separate the pump from the motor shaft on a LW8303W2. I am trying to replace a broken belt.
dudedudeness  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:04:32 AM(UTC)
dudedudeness

I just did my whirlpool, 10 yrs oldish, (though Im sure less time with a leaking housing would be the same ). The impeller should come off after you unscrew the piece in front of it, but Im telling you man, I battled with that thing and after talking to some parts places, found out mainly their purchased together when replacing. The only way your going to pinch any pennies on this one is if you take off the drain valve cover off, save any parts in shape there, take off the piece before the impeller (disk mount), screws off. Because I tell ya, even when you break open the pump housing, ( I suppose unless you try to cleanly cut it apart on the seam, and then re-glue it back again when your finished, the impeller and all the parts after it, are rusted and locked on man, takes pounding and breaking them off. Good luck.
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:41:14 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sandman,

The pump sits right on the motor shaft. Remove the two clips that hold the pump on, then slide it off the motor (see pictures below). If the pump has a minor water leak, it'll cause some rust on the motor shaft effectively "gluing" pump and motor together. If this is the case, you'll probably need to replace the pump and clean the motor shaft.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Martcopolo, here is how to replace the belt, right from Amana manual:

Pump and belt removal

a. Remove three screws holding pump assembly to motor.

Reassembly of pump and belt

IMPORTANT: Install pump and belt together. Drive belt must be replaced with belt No. 37820 (special clutch-type belt) for proper washer operation.

a. Clean any corrosion or foreign material from motor shaft that will be contacting the double "D" slot in pump impeller.

b. Apply a thin film of No. 03637P Lubricant to end and sides of motor shaft. This lubricant helps keep moisture out of the hub area and retards corrosion.

c. Align pump impeller hub with motor shaft. Make sure belt encircles rear pump leg, carefully push pump onto motor shaft so three pump legs bottom out in the embosses on motor housing before screws are tightened.

d. Tighten three screws to 35 inch-pounds (4.0 N-m) maximum. DO NOT overtighten screws!

e. Reinstall motor and pump assembly into washer.

IMPORTANT: After installing motor and pump assembly in washer and all hoses have been reconnected, add at least a quart of water to washtub to lubricate pump seals. Running a pump without water will ruin the seals.

Admin / APP Team attached the following image(s):
amanadryer.jpg
smithlanger  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 4:04:11 AM(UTC)
smithlanger

sounds good to me
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply