Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frogbite  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:54:50 PM(UTC)
frogbite

Groups: Registered

This refrigerator is not dispensing ice. If I depress the ice dispensing lever and the door is closed I hear a whirring noise but the motor does not turn. If I select crushed ice I don't hear any noise at all.

With the door open and ice cubes selected, if I depress the door switch I hear nothing. If I pull the bin out with the door closed and hit the switch in the cube position the solenoid is actuated. I pulled the motor out and hooked 110 to it and it turns fine so I am thinking it is something with the door control panel or the controller board behind the fridge. Which is more likely?

-Bennett
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:16:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bennett,

According to the wiring diagram power to the auger motor controls by the control board in the front cover assembly.

In order to provide the right part number I need the color of the front cover.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool refrigerator Model GC5THGXLS00

Gene.
frogbite  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:52:29 PM(UTC)
frogbite

Gene,

So if the switches work beyond the motor turning on... that is if it in cube mode the solenoid is not activated, but in cube mode it is activated, it could still be the switch and not the control board?

It is the stainless model and uses the black colored door panel switch assembly. It would be great if that is it, because that is much cheaper than the control board. I had already looked this up on the website:

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...90&diagram_id=125018

But shows it is out of stock. I will go ahead and order this assembly. From what I can tell you can't oder the switch and need the whole front panel :(

-Bennett
Gene  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 10:16:11 AM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Bennett,

Unfortunately Whirlpool does not sell these parts separate.

Keep me updated, please.

Gene.
frogbite  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:44:37 AM(UTC)
frogbite

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bennett,

Unfortunately Whirlpool does not sell these parts separate.

Keep me updated, please.

Gene.

Gene,

I replaced the control board. I plugged it in and it is still doing the exact same thing. Once again, no power getting to the motor but the solenoid activates when cubes is selected. When I select crushed I get nothing. When it is on cubes and I press the lever to release cubes with the door closed I hear a whirring noise but if I open the door there is no such noise even if the door switch is activated.

So do I move to replace the control board now? Is there some other micro switch or something I should be looking at? I figured if the solenoid is going off that the microswitch must be working. I don't think it is the microswitch as solenoid that moves the blades from the crushed position is working. So would the next thing to try be:
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...90&diagram_id=125019
Or
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...90&diagram_id=125019

Thoughts?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:38:13 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: frogbite Go to Quoted Post
Gene,

I replaced the control board. I plugged it in and it is still doing the exact same thing. Once again, no power getting to the motor but the solenoid activates when cubes is selected. When I select crushed I get nothing. When it is on cubes and I press the lever to release cubes with the door closed I hear a whirring noise but if I open the door there is no such noise even if the door switch is activated.

So do I move to replace the control board now? Is there some other micro switch or something I should be looking at? I figured if the solenoid is going off that the microswitch must be working.

Thoughts?

Bennett,

Which control board did you already replace? Post both part numbers, please.

Gene.
frogbite  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:48:20 PM(UTC)
frogbite

Gene, I purchased http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa... am_id=125018

This is the only thing replaced so far.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:12:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Bennett,

If the solenoid turns "on" when the Cubes option selected and the motor not then the only thing which could be wrong are the wires to the motor of the motor itself. There is nothing else.

Gene.
frogbite  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:43:59 AM(UTC)
frogbite

Gene,

I did pull the motor an run 110 volts to it and it turned fine. I will verify the voltage again with a volt meter to the connector. The only other test I can think of is continuity between both ends of the dark blue wire which is the power to the motor. I believe the white is common and since the solenoid works, that does not seem to be a problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Bennett
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:46:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Try to track this blue wire to a connector.

Gene.