Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
msd2656geb  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 8:33:44 AM(UTC)
msd2656geb

Groups: Registered

We have a seven year old Maytag MSD2656 GEB that was not cooling on the refrigerator side. I read the posts and took it apart. The coils was frozen over, I manually defrosted it and all is well.

I then ordered and installed the Heater, WPL 61006198 and the Adaptive Defrost Board AP4070403 (61005988). After installing the new parts and manually defrosting the coil it still freezes the coil solid in about two weeks. All of the Parts came from Appliance Parts Pros.

The Refrigerator will cool to the point that it freezes milk at it's highest settting, when run at it's normal setting it cools fine for about two weeks and then the coil freezes over. No frost in the freezer itself, but the coil is frozen over.

Any Ideas?
Thanks in Advance!
Mark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:53:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Some adaptive defrost boards will blow out if not handled carefully. Check the instruction that came with it for static charge warning. If none, you may not have the connector to the defrost heater plugged in all the way. You can use a meter to check.
msd2656geb  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:46:20 PM(UTC)
msd2656geb

I changed the ADB first and then the defrost heater when the ADB alone did not fix the problem. Could a bad heater have ruined the new board?

The connector is in all the way. The new ADB came in an anti-static pouch and I handeled it the same way I handle chipsets at work. I unplugged the frig before installing the ADB, but that does not mean the new ADB is not blown.

Thanks for your input, it gave me a couple things to double check.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:09:46 PM(UTC)
richappy

Did you check the defrost thermostat, when cold, it should be near zero ohms.
msd2656geb  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:44:20 AM(UTC)
msd2656geb

If I understand the diagram correctly the defrost thermostat is integral to the defrost heater. I think I can check it assembled. If I get a chance today I will take the freezer apart and ohm check the thermostat.
Thanks!
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:16:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

With power off, you can stick a pin in both leads of the thermostat to measure ohms.