Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmcardam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:27:48 PM(UTC)
rmcardam

Groups: Registered

My icemaker recently started to overfill and leak into the ice bucket and down the freezer door. There is not a huge amount of water leaking, but enough to clump all the ice in the ice bucket together. This has already caused my auger to break and I replaced that recently.

I have since removed the icemaker and removed the side cover to expose the electronics inside and could not find an adjustment screw. I searched all over the internet and everybody mentioned adjusting the screw, but mine just doesn't have one. Does this make sense?:confused:

Do you think the icemaker is bad or could it be some sort of valve not closing quick enough? I would hate to order a $100 part and find out that it does the same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:16:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The amount of water entering the mold is controlled by temperature, detected by the thermistor.

During ice maker operation, the control continuously monitors the thermistor resistance value. If the thermistor is open or shorted (too high or too low in resistance), the ice maker will enter the Fault Mode. When in the fault mode, the LED will flash at the rate of 1/2 second on and 1/2 second off.

If the ice maker is in the fault mode - it has to be replaced.

If the LED does not flash then the problem is outside the ice maker.

The first thing which could cause the ice maker to overfill is extremely cold inlet water (less than 40°F).

If there is nothing wrong then the water inlet valve has to be replaced.

- The part number for the ice maker is AP3853272

- The part number for the water inlet valve is AP3192626

Gene.
rmcardam  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:23:10 PM(UTC)
rmcardam

Gene,
Thanks for the response. The icemaker light does not blink at all it is steady on. So I am assuming from your response I need to replace the water inlet valve.

I just want to be safe that am understanding you correctly in that as long as the light on the icemaker is steady green then the water valve is the culprit?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:35:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Yes, that's right.

Gene.
rmcardam  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:46:02 PM(UTC)
rmcardam

do you know where I can some directions on installing the inlet valve? I would assume it is somewhere on the back of the fridge.
rmcardam  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:21:33 AM(UTC)
rmcardam

Just wanted to let you know that it appears the problem was the water inlet valve. I replaced it last night and turned on the icemaker. As of this morning I have half a bucket of ice and no water leaking anywhere. The replacement was very easy, it also gave me a reason to clean the underneath, which hadn't been done in nearly 5 years.

For anyone wondering about replacing this part all that has to be done is:

Remove the back cover at the bottom of the fridge, the valve is on the lower left.
Disconnect the bolt that holds it in place
Disconnect the water lines
Disconnect the two power plugs
Replace in opposite order.

Thanks for your help on this.

Also great job from appliancepartspros.com, I chose economy shipping and still had my part by the second day. So great prices and fast shipping, can't beat that.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:58:00 AM(UTC)
Gene

I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.