Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PJCIII  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:13:55 PM(UTC)
PJCIII

Groups: Registered

I have been given a ~6 y.o. GE Profile 30" gas range by a remodeling neighbor. Only issue is a broken glass top (the owner put his knee through the top trying to take down the cabinets over it). The top seems to run between $220 and $330. Two questions: 1) Seeing that they had no problems with this unit, is it worth fixing the top (is it good for another 4 or 5 years?)?, and 2) can someone who is fairly mechanically inclined replace this part fairly easily (it only seems to involve two side screws on the top, the vent cover screws, and the pans which have 2 screws each as well)?
Thanks guys
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:15:11 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
1) Seeing that they had no problems with this unit, is it worth fixing the top (is it good for another 4 or 5 years?)?
It's impossible to say when something will break. It has an electronic control board ($167) that may go tomorrow or last for another 10 years. As far as the rest of the range, there is nothing complicated or expensive in there. The oven igniter might fail within a year or two, it goes for about $40-$45 and takes 5 minutes to replace. If you decide to buy a new range, after the warranty period's over you'll be in the same position you are now (broken top aside).

Quote:
2) can someone who is fairly mechanically inclined replace this part fairly easily (it only seems to involve two side screws on the top, the vent cover screws, and the pans which have 2 screws each as well)?
It's a big glass thing that's not cheap - most people are afraid to deal with the replacement, however it's really not that difficult. One thing I want to mention is you'll have to remove the drip pans and the burner caps. Each drip pan is held with two small screws. Those screws are sometimes baked in there and might break when you put a screwdriver to them, so be prepared to possibly having to drill some of the old screws out with a small drill bit and replace the broken screws (if any). Doesn't happen every time, but it happens.

We sell the new top for $218 (out of stock, will take 1-2 weeks to get). See breakdown diagrams and parts.

Hope this helps.
PJCIII  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 4:33:45 PM(UTC)
PJCIII

Groups: Registered

That helps a lot! I had already removed the drip pans because I figured they had to come out to put the top on, and they were not a problem. Thanks for the help. And, BTW, you guys have the best price on the top I have seen.
One other question, if I may, so I only have to place one order. The lip at the bottom of the door that supports the front glass (part #121 in diagram #2), is that part of #140 in diagram #2?
Thanks,
Phil
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 8:19:59 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That's what it looks like. Keep in mind that #140 is a pretty uncommon part and may take a few weeks to get. If it turns out to be a wrong part or if you change your mind, you'll still have 30 days from the delivery time to return the part.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply