Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmf  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:28:17 PM(UTC)
jmf

Groups: Registered

Hi there, I really don't know how old this top mount refrigerator/freezer is, it looks good, however the discontinued part makes me wonder :rolleyes: The SN is S41511368. For energy efficiency perhaps its time to buy a replacement. BUT, I would prefer to fix the leak that is located where the copper water inlet tube and valve nut connect to the threaded garden hose size opening of the water inlet valve solenoid. I don't know if replacing only one of these parts is possible because of the connection issues. Also the green wire exiting from the water inlet valve solenoid is not attached to anything. Could this be causing the leaking? I have found a source for the discontinued copper inlet tube, but if the problem is the inlet valve solenoid I will have a "new" discontinued inlet tube that probably won't be compatible with a any currently available water inlet valves. I have looked at the pictures but can't tell what will work with what. Is there a kit, rather than individually sold parts that is compatible with this model fridge? :confused: I am working with a handyman and would rather order all possible parts at one time and not pay for several service calls to try one new part after another.

Any suggestions about how to approach this? Thanks for your help with troubleshooting and hopefully a solution. :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:14:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you can post a pictures of all parts involved in this problem - it might help to provide most accurate advise.

Gene.
kooler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:22:33 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like you just need to make a trip down to a local hardware store with your handyman to acquire a new 1/4" brass ferrule and nut to go on the copper tubing supplying water to your fridge... Check tubing size, outside diameter, I've seen some use 3/8" before... Use a pipe cutter to cut off the old nut and place the new parts on the tubing and tighten to the garden hose fitting you described... If the leak is at the hose fitting threads of the inlet valve then you may need a new hose gasket and it helps to use teflon tape on the threads when tightening back up... Green wire should be connected to fridge metal frame for a good ground connection, try using one of the screws when reinstalling the cardboard rear cover to the fridge... Good luck, kooler
jmf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:31:32 AM(UTC)
jmf

Groups: Registered

Thank you both for replying to my query. I found a site to identify how old an appliance is based on the Serial Number and she is more than 24 years old. So we're going to upgrade for the sake of energy consumption. Again thanks for taking the time to share your advice.