Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TommyCee  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:15:41 AM(UTC)
TommyCee

Groups: Registered

I searched this forum and didn't find calibration discussed for this brand/model.
I have tandem Frigidaire electric ovens and the temperature seems to have drifted big time on the upper unit.

To recalibrate, I was given this procedure by a technician:

1) Place a good thermometer in the oven and ramp it up to 550F (the max.)
2) Once the temp stabilizes, press the "Bake" button in for 5 seconds until the temp. displayed in the window is replaced by "00".
3) Use the UP or DOWN arrows to nudge the temp by the differential. (For example, if the thermometer reads 530F, nudge UP 20 deg.)
4) ? ? ?

I was never told what the last step was! If I push "Bake" again, it shuts the oven off.

Does anyone know what the final step is in order for the nudge to be applied to the calibration?
Is Step 4 "just walk away"? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:21:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The following is the exact manufacturer instructions:

To Adjust the Oven Temperature:

1. Push the BAKE pad.
2. Set the temperature to 550°F/288°C by pushing the UP ( ) ARROW pad.
3. Within 2 seconds, push and hold the BAKE pad for approximately 5 seconds until the special 2 digit display appears. Release the BAKE pad. The display now indicates the difference in degrees between the original factory temperature setting and the current temperature setting. If the oven control has the original factory calibration, the display will read "00".
4. The temperature can now be adjusted up or down 35°F/17°C, in 5°F/2.5°C increments, by pushing the UP ( ) or DOWN ( ) ARROW pad. Adjust the UP ( ) /DOWN ( ) ARROW pads until the desired amount of offset appears in the display. A minus sign (-) will appear before the number to indicate the oven will be cooler by the displayed amount of degrees.
5. When you have made the desired adjustment, push the CANCEL pad to go back to the time of day display.

The temperature in the oven has to be always measured at 350°F and the thermometer has to be placed in the middle of the oven cavity.

Gene.
TommyCee  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:58:40 AM(UTC)
TommyCee

Thanks for your reply, Gene.

Actually (and this is a little embarrassing), since I posted my question I noticed on p.8 of the “Service Data Sheet” the instructions for “Adjusting Oven Temperature”. I see that indeed my “Step 4" was to press Cancel. (Actually, the procedure in the manual lists 5 steps, exactly as you posted.)

The important point is that, once the calibration is finished, the oven is shut down (not returned to baking mode).

So here’s where I am now: The oven in question (which is used 95% of the time) seems to take a bit long to reach 550F. But also, even with a 35 deg. nudge, it still seems to only be able to reach 510F or so. I’m beginning to suspect the element itself. I wonder if you agree w/ this suspicion, and whether you think a reasonable test might be to temporarily swap the lower oven’s element and see if it can get to 550F (as a confirmation). Any thoughts?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:22:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Very important step is how you measure the oven temperature. As I said, you have to place a good (not a cheapest one) oven thermometer in the middle of the oven cavity and set the oven control for 350°F. Do not open the oven door for about 10 more minutes since the oven preheated. Read the temperature.

It does not matter how hot is the oven when you do the calibration. You do not have to heat it up to 550°F. Nobody cooks at such high temperature.

Gene.
TommyCee  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:33:00 AM(UTC)
TommyCee

Gene,

Your points are duly noted.

I "get" that an ideal temp. check should be made @350F. It's still 30-40 degrees low.

When I ramp to 550F to attempt an adjustment (it must be @550F to enter the calibration mode), the window displays "35", which is consistent w/ what the manual says ("If the oven control has the original factory calibration, the display will read '00' ") This is residual from the last adjustment I made. But is thus seems that once you attempt a 35-degree increase, and it's still too cool, you're SOL. This surprises me; I would have thought you'd have more flexibility in the nudging.

But this really brings me back to my earlier point. I'm concerned with the capability to heat the oven, and wonder about the element itself.

As I said, the oven in question (which is used 95% of the time) seems to take a bit long to reach 550F. Set to 350F, it only reaches about 310-315F (and not real quickly). I’m beginning to suspect the element itself. I wonder if you agree w/ this suspicion, and whether you think a reasonable test might be to temporarily swap the lower oven’s element and see if it can get to the setpoint temp. (as a confirmation). Any thoughts?

In another post on Frigidaire ovens, I see that you advised that it might be the EOC (Electronic Oven Control). Does this sound more likely, especially when one (of the 2) oven heats fine? Also, I forgot to mention: the element never really gets red hot during the heating phase. Does this tell you anything?

I welcome your thoughts.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:45:56 AM(UTC)
Gene

Pull out the Bake element, disconnect the wires and measure the resistance in the element. It suppose to be about 25 Ohms.

Check for 240 VAC between these wires while the control calls for Bake.

Post the results.

There is a missing letter between "A" & "C" in the model number you posted.

Gene.
TommyCee  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 6:43:32 AM(UTC)
TommyCee

OK, Gene – I pulled the upper-oven element and checked the impedance. It was right at 25ohms.

With the oven set in the baking mode, I measured 41.6VAC between the leads.

How does that grab you?

p.s1.
Regarding the model number, the “GLEB27T8AC” is exactly what I read on the original vendor invoice (May 2003), and as well from a table in Frigidaire’s “Built-In Ovens” brochure (January 2003). FYI, the oven unit cost $1199.\

p.s.2
Has anybody ever noticed that the up/down left/right cursor movement is DISABLED in the Quick Reply edit window? Makes editing a b&#$h.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 1:06:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Sounds like the problem is a bad upper oven relay board (#81 on the diagram). The oven has to be removed from the cabinet in order to access the part.

- The upper oven relay board Part number: AP2127302
Part number: AP2127302

Gene.

P.S. You can not find the correct model number in any paperwork. Never ever. You should look for the name plate on the oven door frame.

P.S.2 You have to report this issue to the site admin.
TommyCee  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 1:49:26 PM(UTC)
TommyCee

Thanks Gene. I wish the news were happier but at least we have a target.

You mentioned removing the oven. Ugghhh! Are you saying I can’t access this board by removing the console above the upper oven?

BTW, the Model # off the door jamb actually is: GLEB27T8CBA
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 2:12:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:

...Are you saying I can’t access this board by removing the console above the upper oven?...

Unfortunately it's true.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply