Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mastertech  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:44:27 PM(UTC)
mastertech

Groups: Registered

The model Kitchen aid washer is KAWE760WAL1. I followed digrams found here and took the casing off and gained access to the main motor. I remevoed the water pump and ckecked it, it spins freely. I removed the motor assy. and found the couple drive still in tact. I manualy spun the gear and the tub spins by hand(with some effert since it is heavy).I even took apart the agitator and made sure the shaft spun, which it did. Leaving the motor unhooked from the drive coupling I set the case on plugged in all connectors and turned washer on to see if motor spun..........no luck just made loud grouling noise. I oredered a new motor #3350418 and installed it. I reassembled entire unit. Tunring unit on ,tub fills but when motor is required to come on it just hums, not as loud as the old motor but but it still hums and wont turn. Am I missing something? such as a transformer, a relay?a faulty control board? A jammed clutch? I am not sure where to go from here.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 1:14:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
In order to provide most accurate advise I need the complete model number of the washer.

Gene.
Matt S  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2008 4:27:16 PM(UTC)
Matt S

Groups: Senior Expert

Odds are you have a bad drive coupler. Tip the machine back and ckeck the plastic coupler between the motor and transmission.

Matt
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:31:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is the washer full of water, if so, probably a clogged pump.
mastertech  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:38:32 PM(UTC)
mastertech

Hi Gene. I hope you have soem more advice for me. I included the washer model number in my new posting here. As I stated I thought I had narrowed it down to the main drive motor , but after repacing it found I have the same problem. Washer fills, When motor needs to engage just a loud hum is heard. The new motor came with the starting unit on it.....seems like it may not be getting anough power.... the model # is KLAWE76OWAL1. Please read my repost of original complaint and I hope you can give me some advice.
Keith
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:10:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Keith,

Did you check the motor capacitor (#23 on the motor & pump break down diagram)? The problem could be there.

Also I would recommend to check the wires connection to the motor and the motor wire harness.

- The part number for the motor capacitor is AP3861916

Gene.
mastertech  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:19:05 PM(UTC)
mastertech

Hi Gene, I had seen the capacitor when I removed the motor.it actualy bolted to the motor case.I wasnt sure what it was. Does the capacitor supply the high current for the motor to run? I was thinking it might be some sort of voltage supply loss. Is there a way to test the capacitor or should i just purchase one and try it?
Keith
Matt S  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:40:19 PM(UTC)
Matt S

Gene makes a good point about the motor wiring. You may have a bad wire connection at the molex plug. I think the yellow wire is the one I see give problems most of the time.

As for the start capacitor, start capacitors rarely go bad. When they do, they normally blow black soot out the top. But, it is possible.

If the wires at the motor are good, you probably have a bad timer. I have seen many timers go bad in such a way that the motor just hums.

Admittedly, this is a tough problem to track down sometimes.

The easy way (as an appliance tech) is to take a motor in with me (I stock many motors) and plug it into the harness. If it doesn't run (just hums) then the timer is bad 99% of the time.

I hope that helps.

Matt
mastertech  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:46:35 PM(UTC)
mastertech

Hey Mat, I understadn that a capacitor stores energy.....being a diesel technician ( I work for freightliner) and having worked on many electrical conserns on heavy trucks i understand the purpose of a cpacitor. i have seen them go bad.....yet..I am not sure how a timer would have an impact on the motor starting.....the motor doesnt get the main power from the timer does it?
Matt S  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:08:02 PM(UTC)
Matt S

Yes, capacitors can, and do go bad. I have replaced a number of them. But, timers are a bit more common to go bad than the start capacitor.

Yes, the motor gets its power from the timer. Here is my understanding of the problem;

The timer has multiple sets of thin contacts with button heads that make electrical contact with each other. If the set that drives the motor get a touch burned, they will pass enough current to make the motor hum ,but not enough to start it.

One thing you can check is the contacts themselves. As a mechanically inclined person, this should be easy if you have a metal bodied timer. If your timer is plastic, you cannot service the contacts. So, if you have a metal timer, pull the timer out and take the plastic inspection cover off to view the contacts. Gently lift each contact with a tiny screwdriver or an awl and look for a burned set. If you find a burned set of contacts, use the tip of the awl to scrape them clean. You can also gently bend the contacts to touch each other more firmly. Reinstall the timer and try it. I have repaired many timers this way.

As for the capacitor, you can replace it and try it. The capacitor is cheaper than the timer. But, timers are more common (in my experience) than capacitors. But, before anything else, inspect the contacts. :)

I hope I haven't totally confused you!

Matt