Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbrimages  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:47:54 AM(UTC)
rbrimages

Groups: Registered

Hi,

Recently, I got my Defrost Timer changed. Now every time the defrost function kicks in every eight hours,
* a high pitched buzz comes on and stays on for eight minutes,
* letter E shows up on the diagnostic panel,
* warm temperature light comes on,
* the letters "mal" in Normal get dim, and
* the ice cubes light comes on.

After eight minutes of buzzing, things return to where they were but the PF comes on. I press system check and after all the beeps are over, the PF goes away and all is normal till the defrost kicks in again. Then all the above things happen all over again.

After checking out everything, the service man (not from GE) says that the diagnostic panel is defective. Could this be the case? The first time, he installed a GE Defrost Control and the second time an Electrolux. How many more times can he keep changing the same part? The service man is wiling to order a new panel and replace it or just disable it. According to GE, this part is not available. What's your advice? My main concern is this repetitive malfunction display must not ruin the fridge. I don't mind the buzz or the other temporary inconveniences. Pl. advise.

Thank you.

rbrimages
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:13:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What was the original problem?

Where that noise is coming from?

The model number you posted does not come up. Verify and repost it.

Gene.
rbrimages  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:03:13 AM(UTC)
rbrimages

Hi, Gene,

Thank you for getting back so promptly. Sorry about the wrong model number cited in my original post (my husband had copied it down from the machine:)) Here is the right number: TFX24FHB.

The noise seems to come from the Diagnostic panel area and all other reactions also show up on the same panel. The buzz lasts for eight minutes.

Thx for all your help.
rbrimages  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:08:08 AM(UTC)
rbrimages

Gene,

The original problem was the food section was not cold enough while the freezer worked just fine. There was frost build-up on back panel of freezer. So the repairman changed the defrost control (GE at first but because I informed them about the problem I reported to you here, they changed it to Electrolux). The GE kicked in every six hours, the Elecrolux, every eight hours. Is this okay?

Thanks again.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:50:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Did the new defrost timer fixed the defrost problem?

Sounds like there is a problem (short or crossed wires) somewhere in the defrost circuitry. It has to be very careful tested from the defrost timer and its wires (including proper timer connection) to the wires inside the freezer, and the defrost heaters and thermostat. It is very hard to diagnose such problems and it is not repairable if wires are bad inside the walls.

Good luck.

Gene.
If the diagnostic panel is not damaged yet due to that problem, I do not think it has to be replaced.
rbrimages  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 5:16:36 AM(UTC)
rbrimages

Thank you, Gene for your prompt response once again.

Yes, the defrost works fine. The diagnostic panel also works fine but like I explained before, five things I listed in my first post on the topic happen when the defrost turns on every 8 hours. The five things stay on for eight minutes and then go away but then the PF comes on. Then I press system check and all is back to normal until defrost turns on again after eight hours.

Any further advice? Can I just ignore the five things that happen and just press system check each time, like I do now? The diagnostic panel is not even available anymore and anyway like you said there seems to be no problem with it.

Again, like you said, it could be the wiring. Without anybody touching it how does the miswiring take place? I called the service man only because my fridge was not cooling properly my food section and ice was building on the freezer back panel. He did fix these two issues.

Should I bring up the miswiring possibility with my service person? Is it possible that miswiring happened before the defrost stopped working? Will the present condition make the replacement part also stop working?

Thank you.

rbrimages.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 11:37:31 AM(UTC)
Gene

Miswiring is just one of possibilities. More likely is a broken wire insulation somewhere in the wire harness. I would not use the refrigerator in such condition, but as I said it can be very hard to diagnose and fix it.

Gene.
rbrimages  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 12:30:22 PM(UTC)
rbrimages

Is it dangerous to use it? Pl. clarify your statement: I would not use the refrigerator in such condition."

Also at what point the possible miswiring have taken place?

Thank you.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 12:46:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

If there is a short somewhere due to a broken wire insulation, it can get worse with the time and finely cause electrocution. This problem also can cause a damage to the diagnostic panel.

Miswiring is just one of possibilities, not the most possible.

The is definitely an electrical problem in the defrost circuitry which is better to diagnose and fix, if possible. The cause of this electrical problem at this time is undiscovered and I can only guess about it.

Gene.
rbrimages  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 12:53:09 PM(UTC)
rbrimages

Hi, I get it but is it okay to leave the fridge on? I've already contacted the service manager and he'll get back to me tomorrow.

Again, thanks for yoru prompt response.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply