Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikedmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:45:06 AM(UTC)
mikedmann

Groups: Registered

DW just started hanging-up in the WATER HEATING cycle before rinse, NORMAL CYCLE, 42 minute point. Pump circulates water, but water will not heat to set point temp. Inlet water temp is about 120 F. I can touch the heating element during WATER HEATING cycle without discomfort or injury, although the element feels warm.

Ran the Diagnostics Test Cycle and everything went fine to Interval 7, the Water Heating interval. When it appeared the water was not getting any hotter, I advanced to the next interval by pressing POTS & PANS.

At the end of the Test Cycle, after the CLEAN LED illuminated, I opened the door and sprinkled water on the element and the water vaporized (boiled off) immediately.

The element appears to be functioning, so could this problem be caused by the control circuit, the thermistor?
Should the element get hot during WATER HEATING like it does during HEAT DRY?

I always use NORMAL WASH and NO HEAT DRY.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:50:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing I would do is open the control panel, remove the control board and check for any visual damage from both sides.

Post your findings, please.

Gene.
mikedmann  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 11:46:57 AM(UTC)
mikedmann

Gene,
Thanks for your response. O.K., I've taken the control board out and I don't see any evidence of damage on the exposed, component side of the board. Is there some easy way to get the board out of the housing so I can look at the other side? There are 4 integral retainer clips on each side of the housing.

Am I correct in assuming the heating element should be hotter during WATER HEATING?

Thanks,
Mike
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:06:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Mike,

You have to remove the board from the housing to check the other side.

Carefully push the retainer clip out on one side of the housing only (one at a time) pulling the board out.

The heating element should not be hot on touch during the wash cycle because of water around.

It's going to be more reliable if you'll measure the water temperature before and after heating.

Gene.
mikedmann  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 7:52:20 AM(UTC)
mikedmann

O.K., I removed the board from the housing. On closer inspection under sunlight I see a very slight discoloration on the component side of the board in the area of R96, R97, and R98. The resistors themselves look good and the soldered connections on the back side look good too.

I asked about the apparent temp of the heating element because the reason behind my starting this thread was the fact that the water wasn't getting any hotter. I had considered the fact that the element would be somewhat cooler because of its exposure to water, but the element isn't submerged, and the water in the dw never gets above 120 F.

Thanks,
Mike
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 2:24:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Mike,

The control board should sense the temperature rise during water heating and if it does not, then it should stop the dishwasher and show the error code.

When you said "inlet water temperature is about 120°F", did you measure the water temperature inside the dishwasher? This is very important.

Gene.
mikedmann  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:56:04 AM(UTC)
mikedmann

Gene,
Does the control board sense the temperature through the thermistor? The TECH SHEET on the DW indicates that during the Normal Wash cycle, the thermal hold interval is terminated and cycle timing is resumed when the water is heated to the setpoint temperature (135 F) or when the thermal hold default time elapses (20-45 minutes). The TS doesn't say anything about error codes. How would they be displayed and where would the codes be listed?

Anyway, after your last message, I decided to put everything back together and run it through a Normal cycle and check the temps again. When the Water Heating cycle started the water in the machine measured 120 F. I checked a few minutes later and was surprised to find that the temp had increased to about 130 F. Then after about 15 minutes into the Water Heating interval, the interval ended, the timer resumed and the wash cycle continued on to completion!

The 15 minute delay may be a little long, but at least things appear to be working. I will see what I can do to increase the water temp into the DW.

Thanks for your help,
Mike