Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frigidfreezer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:27:46 AM(UTC)
frigidfreezer

Groups: Registered

I have a 06 frigidaire model GLRT83teke refrigerator/ freezer. It has been acting up for over a year where the freezer at somes times was not freezing. It was cold just not cold enough to freeze the ice cream etc. Now as of recent it is always doing this. The temp in the freezer ranges from 20-30 . Im not sure what could be wrong, any suggestions? Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:52:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the rear cover and make sure the condenser (#1 on the diagram) is clean. Check if the fan motor next to the compressor works properly. wait about 24 hours after that and check the temperature. Post the result.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE GLRT83TEKE Frigidaire/refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
frigidfreezer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:19:04 PM(UTC)
frigidfreezer

Hi Thank you for your response. I actually took that cover off yesterday. There was not much dust / dirt under there. I vacuumed it. The fan seems to be operating good. I'd like to add, The refrigerator always seemed to be at the correct temperature , the freezer is what seems to be not getting cold enough . Thanks
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:21:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator coils are covered with snow. It's less than 95%, very likely there is a problem with the sealed system.

Gene.
frigidfreezer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:36:08 PM(UTC)
frigidfreezer

yes I checked that out this morning . And there was not that much snow on coil . When you say sealed system what do you mean? and can it be replaced? Thanks
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:30:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

Sealed system aka a cooling system. It consists of compressor, Freon evaporator and condenser coils and tubes. It has to be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician. It can be very expensive, but if the refrigerator is less than five years old it can be under the manufacturer warranty.

Gene.
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:04:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
frigidfreezer, I think you may be misunderstanding Gene or could be I am.

"Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the evaporator coils are covered with snow. It's less than 95%"

I think he was referring to the coverage of frost on the evaporator coils not the amount. If lets say you just see frost on the coils where the freon enters then this is an indication of a low freon condition.

The amount of frost can vary with relative humidity in the room, number of times the doors have been opened and when was the last defrost cycle.

Perhaps the following will help
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html
Check out #20. The example pictures at the bottom of the page. Note that the first one does not work.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
frigidfreezer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:38:12 AM(UTC)
frigidfreezer

there was not that much snow on the coils. a little here and there. Im not sure what Jene meant either. Jene can you better explain what you meant
Gene  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:57:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

denman explained it right. I meant how much of the coils surface is covered with snow. The coils should be about 100% covered with thin snow after the refrigerator was running for a few hours with the freezer rear panel in place and the freezer door closed.

Gene.