Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<34567>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kenmore No More  
#41 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:21:53 AM(UTC)
Kenmore No More

Groups: Registered

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones to never experience the moldy-smell issue in my 9 year-old Kenmore front loader (soon departing for 328-series Samsungs!) but a cup of white vinegar in an empty clothes washer, then run thru a full warm wash cycle has always been noted as an excellent remedy.

Therefore, I can't comment on the Affresh tablets either but everyone at a couple of applicance sales / repair centres rave about them. A bit pricey but if they work per the adverts, it seems like a fair trade-off.

Check your detergent dispenser, too. I periodically remove mine and run it thru the dishwasher with any removeable bits (bleach and fabric softener cups) captured separately in the flatware basket.

If there was ever an almost-ideal location to grow mold in your household, what better location than the warm, moist and dark environment of a clothes washer tucked away in the laundry room? Therefore, make sure the odor isn't coming from your home HVAC vents either ... Should this be the case - CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE IMMEDIATELY!
Rich1281  
#42 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:19:39 AM(UTC)
Rich1281

I actually went out and bought new washers due to this terrible smell.

THEN my daughter who is a chemist told me to switch detergents.
DO NOT USE LIQUID DETERGENTS!!! THey have live microbes in it to attack proteins. Because of the design of front loaders the inner basket breads these microbes and they stink like, well you know!

Use the afresh, the entire bag with the hottest water you can find and switch to ANY powder detergent, you will find the problem to go away.

I had a Maytag Neptune, bought a LG front loader and within 7 days the smell came and I raised all kinds of trouble with the company. The smell after going with powder NEVER came back

Rich
Kenmore No More  
#43 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:40:40 AM(UTC)
Kenmore No More

Interesting .... I'd have never guessed liquids and powders were so chemically different but 1, I'll cetainly trust a chemist's knowledge, BUT ... 2, IMO, powders don't clean as well - unfortunately. And powders are marginally harder to use to quick spot-treat a soil blob.

I assume we're talking about "he" liquids? Same with regular liquids too?

I've never had a serious "stink" problem with my new Samsung front-loaders - yet. Never did with my old Kenmore's either. (I was a frequent rinse-cycle user of white vinegar. That simple liquid - as a rinse - is a-freakin'-mazing!)

As far as any stinko with the new Sammy's, that may have to do with the "silver-care" sanitizing wash cycle I have begun to use - expecially with bedding.

Sure those silver ions or whatever they are knock the be-jeez out of any mold or mildew bugs!
Rich1281  
#44 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 4:27:36 AM(UTC)
Rich1281

Well, spot treatment is different, we still do that. Its the everyday use of liquid detergents, especially those directed at protein stain removals, they have the highest amount of enzyms.

Our Neptune (Maytag) was so bad we took it apart and actually SCRAPPED the insided drum and had to pressure wash the scum off! This is after the factory did the door gasket flushing upgrade. We tried vinegar, bleach, OXYclean (which is diluted Afresh) and it ALWAYS came back within days. We also found that it got worse when we put a water softner in.

We bought new LG front machines, in less than 7 days the smell was like someone vomited on our cloths, I was REALLY UPSET!! And when I switched to powers (Tide) the problem left and never returned.

Rich
Rich1281  
#45 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 4:29:55 AM(UTC)
Rich1281

Originally Posted by: v2k04 Go to Quoted Post
I've owned my LG Front Loader for almost 4 years and have never ever had a smelly moldy inside The reason why? I have never used liquid detergent or Fabric Softner you want a front loader or top loader that doesn't smell? STOP USING ANIMAL FAT BASE LIQUID DETERGENTS and SOFTNERS The smell comes from whatever the consumer is putting into it. Yes!!! its that simple.

I didn't see this posters post before I posted mine. He's absolutely correct and includes softners, which literally coat your driers exhaust and exchanger with a gooey silicone, and plugs everything up.
Kenmore No More  
#46 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 8:19:41 AM(UTC)
Kenmore No More

Rich1281 wrote: "We bought new LG front machines, in less than 7 days the smell was like someone vomited on our cloths, I was REALLY UPSET!! And when I switched to powers (Tide) the problem left and never returned."
===
Whoa! This is way beyond serious !! My friendly service tech says you may well have MUCH bigger problems than ANY washer - by design - or detergent, fabric softener or whatever else imaginable: GET YOUR WATER SUPPLY LABORATORY TESTED!!!! MAKE SURE THE SAMPLE IS TAKEN AT THE TAP OR FAUCET RIGHT WHERE IT CONNECTS TO THE CLOTHES WASHER!!

While you're waiting for the results, don't drink the stuff or use it for making coffee or tea either ...
Kenmore No More  
#47 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 8:58:38 AM(UTC)
Kenmore No More

By great co-incidence, I just had lunch with my favorite appliance service tech. (Seems we like the same Greek restaurant!)

He reminded me - AGAIN! - of the major no-no list for home-use washing machines &#8230;

1. NEVER leave wet clothes in ANY washing machine longer than absolutely necessary! This practice of &#8220;do a load and run out for a few hours of shopping &#8211; or dinner&#8221; &#8211; is a sure-fire way to start a toxic waste site right in your home!

2. When not in use, leave the door or lid open. Mold and mildew-causing bacteria don&#8217;t like fresh, re-circulating air. Should you have ventilation or an actual ceiling fan in your laundry room (I do), leave it on - with the door or lid open - as much as possible. Careful ... as cats have been known to nap in an open-door front loader!!!

3. NEVER use too much detergent! It&#8217;s really, REALLY surprising how little &#8220;washing&#8221; clothes require to get clean. Since front-loaders are already more efficient at making contact with the wash-water, save yourself time, money, extra rinse cycles, etc., etc. by dialing down the detergent amount. After all, the more you put in, the more you have to rinse out &#8230;

4. Fabric softeners: Not the bad guys they&#8217;re made out to be &#8230; but, I really limit their use. In things like bath towels they actually seem to make the cotton LESS absorbent later! Softer feeling, yes. Better at drying me completely dry? No.

Try using dryer sheets instead of a liquid added to the rinse cycle. Since most people add softener to get rid of &#8220;static cling&#8221;; these dryer sheets do the same thing.

Still not all fluffy and &#8220;soft-feeling&#8221; enough? Remarkably, I use those hokey &#8220;dryer balls&#8221; and towels come out fabric-softener soft and REALLY pumped-up fluffy!

Again, try 1/4 or so cup of plain, 'white" vinegar for a rinse cycle. it's guaranteed there will be NO soapy / detergent residue in that load!!

5. Need I even mention this? Use ONLY &#8220;he&#8221; liquids for a front-loader! I can&#8217;t imagine why either can&#8217;t be used in a top-loader but over-sudsing a front-loader with too much soap / detergent or the non-"he" stuff - even once &#8211; seems to start a chain reaction of bad odors.

6.Try &#8220;odor-neutral&#8221; detergents. Those perfume additives are also of concern to skin-sensitive people &#8211; those with allergies &#8211; so use neutral-smelling cleaners and be done with &#8216;em !

7. Spot-treat the worst-of-the-worst dirt &#8211; and let them sit while you sort and kill a half-hour or so &#8230; then do them in a load with about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of ammonia. I like the lemony-smelling stuff. I think you&#8217;ll be pleasantly surprised &#8230; A little Oxy-Clean in the white clothes and you should have the freshest-smelling, cleanest clothes ever. And ammonia rinses PERFECTLY clean &#8211; unlike a detergent with those dirt-releasing &#8220;surfactants&#8221; (surfactants make water &#8220;wetter&#8221;).

NOTHING will really freshen up super-sweaty clothes &#8211; like those from an afternoon working in the summer sun outdoors &#8211; like a little ammonia.

9. Worst stains you&#8217;ve ever seen &#8211; maybe oil-based? Spot -spray with &#8211; are you sitting down? &#8211; WD-40 and allow them to sit a while. You might wanna do this outdoors, too &#8230;

Then, spot-treat with liquid detergent, rinse under a faucet and check the results. You can try another shot of WD-40 if necessary but some stains just won&#8217;t come out &#8230; unless you&#8217;re prepared to use a pair of scissors!

Finally ... 10. Got a BIG load of super-dirty clothes you almost wish you didn't have to even deal with?

Then don't.

Take 'em to a commercial laundry - in a plastic trash bag - and use THEIR super-duty machines!

Big, bulky items that might not even FIT in YOUR washer - or damage it in an off-balance spin cycle - will get swallowed up in a second by a commercial machine.

Hey, it's worth a couple of bucks to save YOUR machine and most of these pay-wash sites even have a "drop-off, we'll wash-and-fold them" service.
Rich1281  
#48 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 10:46:13 AM(UTC)
Rich1281

Our waters tested every year by my son in law who works at a lab. Also, were on city water.

HOWEVER, Clyde Ohio, a neighbor or ours, has the HIGHEST cancer rate in the nation for children, and today they stated that they don't know whats causing it.
SOooooo, I drink bottled water, whytake a chance.

Rich
appliance-land  
#49 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 11:23:05 AM(UTC)
appliance-land

ok if you have your washer is plummed direct into the sink try and get the waste pipe i bit higher or buy a 1 way valve 90% get dirty water running back into the washer through there sink...
next think to do is pour half a bottle of bleach in washer and put it on a 60 degree wash this will solve your problem....
marianmwitt  
#50 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:59:43 AM(UTC)
marianmwitt

you should do an empty wash using lysol at least once a week or if doing wash only once a week then every other week. this eliminated my problem
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply