Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
danzenvoyz  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:30:50 PM(UTC)
danzenvoyz

Groups: Registered

I would like some help on how to repair our GE Monogram Trash Compactor. Just suddenly when we turn it on the RAM got stuck and wont go up and until now, its been a week and still ram stuck. Afraid that food and trash inside might cause health problem. I tried pulling it out and starting it over again but it didnt work it only opens about 2 inches and you can see the RAM still down sort of stuck. What do I do. How can I disassemble it or have it working again
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

warbirdman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:27:35 AM(UTC)
warbirdman

I am having the exact same problem you had, I didn't read where anyone responded with a solution. I have removed the unit and have the back panel off. The ram is stuck down, even though the motor and gears appear to turn normally. Any suggestions?
warbirdman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:31:18 PM(UTC)
warbirdman

I found the problem (I think). The threaded hard plastic nut that the drive screw powers the scissors up and down with was cracked, and giving itself up toward the end of it's life. It looks like it went on the downstroke and didn't have enough friction in the broken part to raise the ram. Thank you for your advice, and I hope this helps other do it yourself types solve what looks to be a common weakness in these machines.

Steve
BOSSTOOL  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:33:57 PM(UTC)
BOSSTOOL

Warbirdman,

Do you have a part number for the plastic part that mates with the lead screw. I suspected this to be my problem too, and your post confirms my thoughts. I can't find any parts list for this unit.

Any help in this part number search would be appreciated. Also, where did you get it from and how much $?

Thx,

Dan B.
warbirdman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:55:06 PM(UTC)
warbirdman

Bosstool,

I no longer have the part# but you can get it from GE after wading through some of their menus. They will e-mail you the parts breakdown, and you want the jam nut that the jackscrew rides in. It is enclosed in a little sheetmetal container. I shopped the part around, and eventually paid about $28 for it. I think GE wanted approx $50 and so did another local shitbag parts supplier. I hope this helps.

Steve
BOSSTOOL  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:02:04 PM(UTC)
BOSSTOOL

warbirdman,

I did find a parts list on "********************" website. For convenience sake I just ordered the part from them, after a quick check for other pricing. I paid $44 for this part, called a "trunnion nut" by their description. I took my current trunnion nut out of the sheetmetal case, and it is not cracked but it is "stripped." The threads are no longer present that would allow a good engagement to the lead screw.

Thanks for your post. I suspected the problem would be this piece, but you post gave me 100 percent confidence that would be it.

You have been very helpful. Great site! I wish GE had a little more information, like a parts list for their product.

Dan
BOSSTOOL  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:04:00 PM(UTC)
BOSSTOOL

the website is with a place called "********************." Just put the www and the .com on each end of that name and you get there.
BOSSTOOL  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 11:05:11 PM(UTC)
BOSSTOOL

I give up. I am not able to give the name of the place that had the parts list, apparently. It's out there however.
warbirdman  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:58:43 PM(UTC)
warbirdman

I didn't understand your last reply. If you call GE Monogram (Google) they will send you via fax or e-mail the exploded drawing for that part of the compactor. Get the part # for the jam nut, and shop around. It should cost about $5.95, but as I said a GOOD price is in the mid to high twenties. I hope this helps.

Steve
bongobiltmore  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:50:27 AM(UTC)
bongobiltmore

I looked at the ram last night and saw the exact same problem--a cracked plastic gear. Should have read this first. I'm not that handy so it will cost about $300 to get the transmission replaced. I guess the repair man has a family to buy christmas presents for too...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply