Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dadasmatta  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:01:01 AM(UTC)
dadasmatta

Groups: Registered

Before I consider disassembling my Kenmore (Whirlpool) washer, I thought I would ask anyone in this forum what the problem may be with my washer.

The washer works 100% fine up to the spin cycle. About 1/2 through the 1st spin cycle, the machine lets out an instant "bang" noise once it has reached maximum spin speed. The lower spinning agitator seems to quickly stop and then will spin-up again. The machine will "bang" again once it has again reached maximum spin speed. I have to shut down the washer at this point because I don't want to risk further damage to the machine.

I checked the plastic splining on the lower agitator and the metal splining on the drive shaft. Both seem ok.

Is there a possible problem with the gearbox? Bad gears? How can I verify?

I don't suspect the motor/transmission coupler is bad because the machine will spin.

Is it possible the clutch is slipping and re-engaging during the fastest rpm speed of the agitator/basket causing this loud "bang" noise?

If the clutch is suspect, how can a defective clutch be easily verified? How difficult is it to replace the clutch?

Lastly, can someone direct me to a thread or website that best describes the removal process for the clutch or transmission should I need to remover either.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

dbc  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:30:13 PM(UTC)
dbc

Did yoy get a reply for this problem? I have the same issue
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 6:34:10 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the outer cover from the washer and remove pump and motor. Turn the coupler clockwise till the spin basket starts to turn. If it turns really hard, either you have something jamming the basket between the tub and basket or you have jamming brake shoes. If it turns really easy, but you get a clunk in the tranny, you have a stripped nylon gear in the tranny=new tranny time. Please post results, I'm betting on a bad tranny. They do sell a spin gear and pinion gear for the tranny if you need it. To confirm, you need to pull tranny and check.
iambman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:41:35 PM(UTC)
iambman

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Pull the outer cover from the washer and remove pump and motor. Turn the coupler clockwise till the spin basket starts to turn. If it turns really hard, either you have something jamming the basket between the tub and basket or you have jamming brake shoes. If it turns really easy, but you get a clunk in the tranny, you have a stripped nylon gear in the tranny=new tranny time. Please post results, I'm betting on a bad tranny. They do sell a spin gear and pinion gear for the tranny if you need it. To confirm, you need to pull tranny and check.

What would make the nylon gear stripped? Mine is and I had the same loud bang issue. I am debating whether or not to replace the spin pinion and gear or the whole tranny. Obviously, if I can get by with just the spipn pinion and gear, I would rather do that. I dont want to replace those two pieces only to find something that caused it deeper in the tranny.

Please advise
Thanks
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 12:33:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

Bad brake shoes probably caused the gear failure.
iambman  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 3:26:29 AM(UTC)
iambman

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Bad brake shoes probably caused the gear failure.

Rich,
Can you watch these two videos on my previous post from yesterday and see anything different to report?

http://forum.appliancepartspros...d-bangs-while-spins.html

I have the tranny out now and felt a stripped gear, so I already know the pinion gear is stripped, but is that what is causing the bang noise heard in the video? I am concerned about replacing the pinion gear without knowing the cause of the problem.

Also, would the shoes obvious show signs of wear, so I would know if that is in fact the cause of the stripped gear?

Thanks in advance
Bryan
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 4:54:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

With the tranny out, reach up and turn the plastic pawl clochwise to try and spin the basket. If hard to turn, you have dragging brake shoes. Go to my "sticky" "replacing direct drive brake shoes"'.