Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonTK  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:13:04 AM(UTC)
JonTK

Groups: Registered

It's my elderly mother's washer, approximately 7 yrs old. It wasn't turning. I took the front panel off and notice that the belt was broken and thought that to be an easy fix. I got a replacement belt, but because I did not have to take the old one off, I did not realize that it had an idler or tensioner pulley.

I replaced just the belt. The motor turned and the tub turned somewhat in testing, but in spin cycle it does not. Manually turning the tub from either the agitator above or pulley below was difficult. The pulley and the brakes were rusty. Once I was able to manually turn the tub, I put the belt on and retested, but got the same results, only this time the tub was leaking from beneath.

I dismantled the machine down to the outer tub. There was what looked to be a sediment filter, but no discernable way to remove the filter and I could not see the seal.

My questions are: Could these three problems (broken belt, leak at the bottom & tub not turning) be related?

What would the most logical course of diagnosis or repair be?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:15:46 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: JonTK Go to Quoted Post
It's my elderly mother's washer, approximately 7 yrs old. It wasn't turning. I took the front panel off and notice that the belt was broken and thought that to be an easy fix. I got a replacement belt, but because I did not have to take the old one off, I did not realize that it had an idler or tensioner pulley.

I replaced just the belt. The motor turned and the tub turned somewhat in testing, but in spin cycle it does not. Manually turning the tub from either the agitator above or pulley below was difficult. The pulley and the brakes were rusty. Once I was able to manually turn the tub, I put the belt on and retested, but got the same results, only this time the tub was leaking from beneath.

I dismantled the machine down to the outer tub. There was what looked to be a sediment filter, but no discernable way to remove the filter and I could not see the seal.

My questions are: Could these three problems (broken belt, leak at the bottom & tub not turning) be related?

What would the most logical course of diagnosis or repair be?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Yes they can.

There should be 8 bolts, if memory serves me right holding the lint filter in place. Under that you can then get to the seal and bearing assembly.

Sometimes it doesn't come a part real easily. Use the below link and look at page 2 and 3 and you will see the breakdown of the parts. Something you will need to verify before ordering parts is the Manufacturer #, it's on the ID plate where the model # was.

Model LW8303L2
JonTK  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:20:06 AM(UTC)
JonTK

Thanks Frank.. Actually the filter just pried off. Now there is the spline, a rubber covered black object and 2 metal plates, but I see no way to get them off. I took out the entire outter tub thinking i have to release them from the bottom. There are 3 or 4 nuts/bolts, but I cant seem to reach them because of the transmission. BTW the mfg is PLW8303L2 B.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jk
JonTK  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
JonTK

Well, I got further. There was a rubber seal that goes over the locknut and washer. There is this metle sprocket type tab washer that looks to be holding down the nut. I cannot budge the nut at all. I assume that this is a reverse thread nut. Does that washer thingy with the tabs need to be taken out or punched down or what? Should I just let some penetrating oil soak over night and try again in the morning?

Any help any one can give me I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
JonTK  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:14:03 PM(UTC)
JonTK

One more thing... How would I know if the brake pads or idler pulley need to be replaced?
JonTK  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:45:15 AM(UTC)
JonTK

Finally!! I got the nut off. The spline washer has nothing really to do with it. One big important note.. on this washer, it is regular threaded, so it comes off turning counter-clockwise. I applied heat, hit it with a hammer then soaked it in liquid wrench for about 2 hours. Now that I have the nut off, to what end? I still can't get to the seal. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Frank / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 5:05:50 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Finally!! I got the nut off. The spline washer has nothing really to do with it. One big important note.. on this washer, it is regular threaded, so it comes off turning counter-clockwise. I applied heat, hit it with a hammer then soaked it in liquid wrench for about 2 hours. Now that I have the nut off, to what end? I still can't get to the seal. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The hub itself is splined, don't know if that's what you're now looking at or not. Below is a picture of the hub and seal kit, along with a link to your model. Maybe they will help you out.

Part number: AP4253981
JonTK  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 1:52:29 PM(UTC)
JonTK

Thanks again Frank. It looks kind of sort of like the larger item in the upper left corner of the picture. So I guess that's the hub. I probably have to pull it off with a gear puller. Does that sound correct?

In looking at that picture, do you think I have to replace all of those parts? I have already pulled most of those parts and they don't look as though they have failed.

Thanks,

JK
Frank / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:46:46 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Thanks again Frank. It looks kind of sort of like the larger item in the upper left corner of the picture. So I guess that's the hub. I probably have to pull it off with a gear puller. Does that sound correct?

In looking at that picture, do you think I have to replace all of those parts? I have already pulled most of those parts and they don't look as though they have failed.

Thanks,

JK

What you see comes as a kit. That's the way it's sold.

I'm sure it's just gunked up from water, soap, and grime. Have you tried the penetrating oil on it? A puller may have to come into play.
JonTK  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:31:38 AM(UTC)
JonTK

Thank you Frank.. I did hit it hard with liquid wrench. I guess I'll get a gear puller and try it that way. I appreciate all of your help and support.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply