Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sing611  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:22:35 AM(UTC)
sing611

Groups: Registered

How to open Roper gas dryer to replace coils on gas valve in a Roper Model RGS7646KQ2 ?

The flame ignites on start up and fails to ignite after going off, until 10 or 20 minutes later. The ignitor still goes hot for 10 to 15 second in cycle, just no flame. But wait about 20 minutes, the falme can go on again, but cycle of failed ignition continues after it goes out.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:23:41 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the screw on the back of each side end caps of the console. Grab console on both sides. Pull console towards you, lifting the tabs up and out of the console slots. Carefully flip console back. Remove the three screws at the back of the dryer top. Slide top toward you to release top from front clips and rear tabs. Lift top up and off dryer.

Remove the two screws securing the front panel. Lift the front panel up to release it from the retainers on the bottom.

- The coil kit Part number: AP3094251
sing611  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:54:23 PM(UTC)
sing611

Gene,
Thank you very much for your reply. Wish me luck :)
-Sing
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:14:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Good luck Sing. Keep us posted.

Gene.
bratch  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:23:23 PM(UTC)
bratch

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Good luck Sing. Keep us posted.

Gene.

First time user here, found via Google search.

Thanks for the information Gene, it solved my problem.

I had similar symptoms as Sing on a Whirlpool/Roper gas dryer. First I noticed that the clothes were not drying at all, so I opened the back and watched if for a while. When starting from cold I could see a glow in the heater area followed by flames from the ignited gas. After it reached the high temp the flame would shut off. A few minutes later I would see the glow for a few seconds, but there was no gas to ignite. I had excellent air flow through the whole system, so I knew it wasn't being caused by any blockage.

With your instructions and the breakdown diagram I was able to remove the coils and take them with me to the appliance parts store. They tested them and confirmed they were bad. The coil replacement kit (both coils) happened to be one of two featured items on their website this month and cost me $29.88. I've seen them online for less, but this is a local store and they tested the old coils for me. I had also tested them with an Ohm meter and was reading 0 Ohms across all terminals, as if they were shorted.

The only slight difficulty I had was removing the screws without removing the drum. I had it supported with a small, sturdy shoe box and realized a normal size screwdriver wouldn't fit. My short one didn't work either, so I ended up using a small socket wrench with a star-point screwdriver attachment.

I attached a photo of mine. Maybe it will help others when they find this and read about your solution. Oh, I also found about $2 in dimes in the bottom rim area when I removed the front of the dryer. :)

UserPostedImage

The wires are not normally on top of the screws. I moved them out of the way so I could get a photo of the burner assembly number in case I needed it. It's very easy to unplug the coils, remove the bracket, and put the coils back. The one with 3 wires goes in front and there are small tabs that line up with the bracket to prevent you from installing them wrong.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:27:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Thank you for sharing with us such useful information and picture.

Gene.
rfaulds  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:28:53 AM(UTC)
rfaulds

Thanks to all for their previous postings. Once ordering the replacement kit for the gas coils, the procedure was quite easy and effective for our Maytag MDG9206BWW gas dryer. HEAT! Fast service and a cheap solution for the problem. Thanks again AppliancePartsPros.com !

AP3094251 (279834) Coil kit for dryer gas valve (2 coils, new style) 1 14.47
rtrickey  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 11:35:27 AM(UTC)
rtrickey

I assume I need to shut off the gas at the wall before replacing the gas coils. After replacing them, is there a recommended way to test to make sure no gas is leaking?
Gene  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 2:52:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

You do not have to shut off the gas. Just unplug the dryer.

Gene.
NotADryerRepairExpert  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:20:35 PM(UTC)
NotADryerRepairExpert

Can someone please tell me how and where to get burner coils for a basic looking Whirlpool gas dryer (no model number on front, one dial, one starter button). If you need more info, tell me where to get it. I'll send a gift card to the person who helps me save $100 calling someone to fix it.
Cameron @ myagentgateway.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply