Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
driz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:32:39 PM(UTC)
driz

Groups: Registered

Thought the belt was burned when it wouldn't spin out the water and spin a full load dry. Got new belts which were pretty beat but it still doesn't turn easily seems labored and then finally grinds to a stop even though belt tension is good. I pulled everything off and all the pulleys and assemblies turn freely. When it binds to a stop there is a fairly strong electrical hot smell coming from the motor and it eventually ckicks and stops. The motor is just plain worn out right? I guess 14 years from a disposable motor is all anyone can expect right.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:58:06 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Did you try running it without the belts to see if the motor stalls?
Also, take a close look at the motor pulley with a good light. Sometimes there is a carbon/belt residue built up on the pulley which "glazes" it, and reduces the available friction to operate properly. If this is the case, you can breathe several years of life back into that dependable care machine by replacing the pulley. Could the smell you noticed be burning belts, rather than electric wires?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:30:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your motor may have run out of oil, check for seized bearings in the motor. Motor part # AP4010201
driz  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:12:28 AM(UTC)
driz

Going to try a new one and see what happens, I will let you know how it works, Thanks.
driz  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 6:18:09 AM(UTC)
driz

You wouldn't have a diagram for the wiring on that switch mounted on top of the motor would you? Long story short I had had to remove the switch and it came apart under less than ideal circumstances and now am not sure how it goes together. Yea I know, don't ask but it wasn't really my fault, duahhhh.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:51:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you live near an appliance parts store, you could look at a new one mounted to see how it is wired externally.
driz  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:47:23 AM(UTC)
driz

I have pix I took with the digi camera of the outside. I do a lot of car work and use the camera as a crutch. Trouble is all I have is the outside, not the inside where the switches are. By the time the top of the new motors cover came up and I tried to slide back in the replacement contact brass piece I almost instantly discovered a need for a couple extra hands and there I was. Give it a shot or not and I went for it but the wires were all under their own tiny bit of tension and the swtiches just sitting there so it got out of hand before I was able to stop them from popping up. Yes the other old motors switch box came apart the same way. Somebody kick me.

I even took it to an ac electric motor shop and the guy said forget it that he couldn't do it either. Thinking about it I could possibly put it back together again using the pix I have and the mental snap shot of the 2 switches in there. I hate to try though as I don't want to fry anything if I get a wire in the wrong place. I will swing by the local maytag place this morning and see if he can manage to toss it together. I don't mind paying for my mistakes as long as it isn't too ugly and he is a decent guy. Meanwhile the wife is gnawing me raw about the whole thing and of course you couldn't expect the women to take it easy on the dirty laundry now can you?????????:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o Somebody shoot me, please.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:37:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

Take it to a repair shop for appliances. They can fix it, just get a quote ist.
driz  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:25:21 AM(UTC)
driz

Did one better and took it in like I mentioned. The guy had the whole thing carridge and all ready to toss in used and in very nice condition for $25. It may not last forever but if it doesn't work he will give me another one and it it goes tits up next month I have a spare waiting. It works for me and the old lady will crawl back into her cave and stop roaring.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:54:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

That switch is probably not available new, you saved at least $25 if it was.