Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bluefitness  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:16:45 PM(UTC)
bluefitness

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I checked the vent and cleared it out. I am getting good air flow through it now. I put my hand at the air flow outlet and feel medium heat. It isn't that hot. The dryer is a low end Roper. Do these dryers come with two stage heating elements? What else can I try? I'm assuming it has a 5kw heating element. What should the resistance be?

Thank you

Also, if anyone has a Roper service manual link, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:30:59 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If the drum is turning and you have heat, the only thing making your clothes not dry on time is restricted air flow.

It is unlikely your heating element is only partially working, but if you want to check the vent temperature, get an oven thermometer and see if the temperature is between 120 and 140 degrees.

The main thing you need to do is to take the dryer apart and take off the blower housing and check to make sure the blower fan is working correctly and there is not an obstruction in the internal venting system.

In all liklihood cleaning out the vent system from the lint filter to the outlet from the dryer will fix your problem.
bluefitness  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:58:11 PM(UTC)
bluefitness

Have you ever seen an element that was grounded that produced heat? Also, do some of these units come with high and med high heat, so the elements are staged? Is this common on lower end dryers?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:37:21 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The answer is yes to both questions. A grounded element can produce heat. You need to unplug the dryer and test the element for continuity and resistance (12 to 20 ohms)

Almost all dryers, even the low end have multiple heat setting.

If you will post the model number and the results of checking out the element we can give you some more info. Also, if the dryer is less than one year old you should be covered under factory warranty so check with them for a cost free service call.

Good luck.
bluefitness  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:57:46 PM(UTC)
bluefitness

I'll check it for continuity to ground. I'm guessing on high heat it should be pulling around 20 amps (5kw). I was just thinking one of the heating stages wasn't working. I'll get numbers and do some tests on it.

Thanks