Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Byl  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 10:58:06 PM(UTC)
Byl

Groups: Registered

GE gas Oven Igniter turns on to bright orange and achieves up to 175 F, but oven will take 30 to 90 minutes to finally light up (sometimes it won't light at all). I suspect it's the igniter but not sure. Is it supposed to get white hot or is bright orange "hot enough"?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:03:56 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: Byl Go to Quoted Post
GE gas Oven Igniter turns on to bright orange and achieves up to 175 F, but oven will take 30 to 90 minutes to finally light up (sometimes it won't light at all). I suspect it's the igniter but not sure. Is it supposed to get white hot or is bright orange "hot enough"?

It probably is the ignitor. There a couple other things it can be though.

The safety valve not always opening up and letting the gas to flow.

Another thing a lot of folks overlook is the voltage coming to the outlet the range is plugged into. If the voltage is a bit low, the igniter won't draw enough amperage, which in turn won't allow the bi-metal in the safety valve to warp.

Below is a pic and part # for the igniter along with a link for your model.

Part number: AP2014008
Byl  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:29:26 AM(UTC)
Byl

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply -- the voltage is 121 v at the outlet, so that's not it.

I've seen some posts ask about the COLOR of the igniter, whether it is orange, red or white hot. If the igniter is not hot enough, obviously the valve won't open, so is orange "hot enough"?

Also, I found no mention of a safety valve per se, so I assume we are talking about the Control Valve (part # AP2023306 made by GE - see picture below) as possibly being defective, right?

Is the Control Valve easy to replace?

Frank / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:47:56 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: Byl Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply -- the voltage is 121 v at the outlet, so that's not it.

I've seen some posts ask about the COLOR of the igniter, whether it is orange, red or white hot. If the igniter is not hot enough, obviously the valve won't open, so is orange "hot enough"?

Also, I found no mention of a safety valve per se, so I assume we are talking about the Control Valve (part # AP2023306 made by GE - see picture below) as possibly being defective, right?

Is the Control Valve easy to replace?

UserPostedImage

Yes control valve and safety valve are the same item. I understand what you're saying about the color but that is a tough call without me being able to see it. I have a gas range and I would say the ignitor is sort of between orange and red when it's on. The control/safety valve doesn't fail very often. I would go with the ignitor, they are well known to cause the problem you're dealing with.

If you happen to have a amp probe the ignitor should be drawing approx 3.5 amps if memory serves right.