Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
koohgar  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2007 5:57:24 PM(UTC)
koohgar

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a Majic Chef gas oven that just decided to stop working and I'm hoping you might be able to remotely diagnos it. I can set the temperature control but the oven never reaches the set temperature. The ignitor glows a bright orange but the gas valve doesn't see to turn on and the burner doesn't ignite. That having been said, it must fire at some time beause the oven temp will climb to about 200F if I wait long enough. Also, when this happens, there is a slight gas smell. I'm guessing that the ignitor is bad/weak rather than the gas valve as the broiler still works. Can you provide any suggestions?
Doug
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:51:28 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds like a classic case of a bad igniter. The glow should be white not orange. Replace the bake igniter and all should be back to normal.

Click here for the Magic Chef (Maytag) oven igniter.

Breakdown diagrams for your Model 34HA-5TKXW
keithmregan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 1:41:11 PM(UTC)
keithmregan

I have the same problem. The ignighter glows a bright orange. I tried to use a lighter adn got a VERY weak small blue flame that flickered out after a second or two, so I think it may be the regulator for the oven.

The range top burners all work but they are actual mechanical knobs that regulate the gas. I think that an electrical signal is sent to the ovens gas regulator and tells that to come on.

Could it be this? Also if the gqas pressure is weak for some reason would it not allow gas to pass
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:15:45 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Keith,

Post your oven model number please.
keithmregan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:59:10 AM(UTC)
keithmregan

the number on the sticker on the door is

8114p471-60

I checked it out again last night and there is definitely no gas coming out when the igniter is on. Would the "bake valve" not open if the igniter was not hot enough? It glows bright orange and is pretty hot but I read on here that it should be almost white.

I am assuming it has to be either the bake valve or igniter. Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Also I took the black cover off from under the thermostat and stove top burner controls. There seems to be some sort of regulator knob on part that sends the gas down to the stove. You can turn it about a quarter turn. Tried both ways thinking it may allow more gas to flow to bake valve but no go
Admin / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:11:07 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Quote:
Also I took the black cover off from under the thermostat and stove top burner controls. There seems to be some sort of regulator knob on part that sends the gas down to the stove. You can turn it about a quarter turn. Tried both ways thinking it may allow more gas to flow to bake valve but no go

Not a good idea. Try to turn it back the way it was or this basic igniter problem will turn into something else.

Your igniter is not drawing the correct amperage number, which is why there is no gas flowing through the valve - the valve needs correct amperage from the igniter in order to open.

8114P471-60 is a part number for the little sticker you found. But that's alright. This number tells me that yours is a Maytag made stove, which means it should have a flat bar igniter, which means you can use the same oven igniter I mentioned earlier.
keithmregan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:46:57 AM(UTC)
keithmregan

OK thanks for the info. I will keep you posted. Thanks again
keithmregan  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 8:55:21 AM(UTC)
keithmregan

also I found the part on ***** here:

**link removed by admin**
Admin / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 3:49:27 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Keith,

You're welcome to post your repair questions any time. That's why we're here. This is a free service we are offering and we certainly would never make you purchase parts from us. But please, out of common courtesy, don't post links to our competitors.

I hope you understand.
keithmregan  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 6:18:56 AM(UTC)
keithmregan

OOOOPS. Sorry about that didnt realize that you were affiliated with the site that sold the part and that this forum is supported by that. My bad.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply