Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clobdell  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 12:39:03 PM(UTC)
clobdell

Groups: Registered

Approximately one week ago, I noticed a pool of water accumulating under our GE Profile Arctica Side-by-Side refrigerator. I checked the water line in back and under the fridge but couldn't find any obvious leaks. After some fiddling, I discovered that if I turned the icemaker off, the leak stopped.

For the past week, there hasn't been any leakage while the icemaker remained off. Is it normal for the icemaker to eventually fail after such a short time (probably 6 years)? I removed the icemaker and spent a little while searching for a crack but couldn't find anything.

A replacement icemaker is only $100 but was curious if anyone has any other suggestions as to what may be causing the issue. My first reaction was that it was a faulty waterline but since the leak stopped after I removed the icemaker, I'm convinced that's the issue.
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 5:06:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Chris,

Did you see any icicles or another signs of water leak inside the freezer?

If not then it's not the ice maker but the water line to the ice maker.

Gene.
clobdell  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:35:19 AM(UTC)
clobdell

I didn't see any ice crystals specifically but I really didn't look that hard either. Would they have formed at the base of the ice maker or further down in the fridge? Would the water line leak if the power to the ice maker was turned off? Does turning off the ice maker some how turn off a valve in the water line?
Thanks for the reply!
Chris
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:06:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If the ice maker itself is leaking, you should see an icicles on walls and/or shelves and in the ice bin.

When you turned the ice maker off, you turned off the water valve for the ice maker too.

Best regards.
Gene.
Laurie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:37:28 AM(UTC)
Laurie

My icemaker was leaking so I replaced the icemaker but it only leaks after the ice is frozen and the ice bucket is full . The old icemaker leaked in the same spot. Any suggestion