Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
midwest  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:22:16 PM(UTC)
midwest

Groups: Registered

The plastic water lines are cracked and leaking. I have located the replacement part on the website. The line goes from the back of the unit to the water tank inside the food storage area. Are there any tricks to replacing the line?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:43:20 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I usually just cut out the bad sections of plastic line and splice in new ones. Plastic tubing you can get at Lowe's 1/4 and 5/16 diam. tubing is needed and they have 1/4 inch brass compression couplings but NO 5/16 You can get 5/16 couplings on this site part # WR2X8545 and they may have 1/4 inch brass compression couplings.
midwest  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:41:20 PM(UTC)
midwest

Thanks.................
nyandrews  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 7:00:36 AM(UTC)
nyandrews

Hello,

I was wondering if you ended up splicing in a new section or replaced the actual tubing and water tank? If so how much work or problems did you incur while replacing the water tank?

Thanks,
Mark
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 7:47:23 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Never did that, tubing near the compressor gets degraded from the heat. Just make sure the tubing is soft enough so the compression fittings will capture and hold the tubing.
nyandrews  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 8:06:14 AM(UTC)
nyandrews

Thanks for the quick reply. I did just that a couple of weeks ago. However, this is the 5th time the line has cracked and broken due to the heat. The last 5 times the various repairmen have just cut the bad tubing off and replaced/spliced with new tubing.

So, the most recent time I was at my mother-in-law's and was able to repair the line myself. While doing so, it is quite clear that this will be the last time the tubing can be fixed without replacing the whole water tank line. With each repair the line has become shorter and shorter to the point it is pretty much kinked right now where the tubing enters the right side on its way up to the water filter.

Quite a poor and sad design to say the least. Who designs plastic tubing to be so close to a heat source?

Thanks again!