Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbmbsr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:03:02 PM(UTC)
jbmbsr

Groups: Registered

I was drinking a Miller High life beer and chipping the ice out of our mini 33.5" beer freezer with an ice pick.:eek:

My question is this: Can the evaporator plate up in the freezer part in the refrigerator be repaired or welded if an ice pick tip accidentally pierces it? :confused:

Also, the R 12 refrigerant sprayed out of the newly created hole too when this happened so how then :rolleyes: if and when this is repaired by probably welding the hole created in it with an aluminum weld (if that is what has to be done and in fact can actually even be done that is? in the first place) do we get more R-12 refrigerant to replace the original refrigerant that came out of the freezer coil after it was pierced? :cool: And where if I can even get this R-12 refrigerant do I then attempt to fill the 3.2 oz's required by our mini dorm aka: Beer fridge? :confused:

If anyone has some helpful input to this I would
appreciate a reply as my remaining 2 cases are now starting to defrost....:mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2008 12:17:01 AM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

This is an age old problem since refrigeration began; you will need a Pro to fix your beer fridge and that's only if you can find one that likes your preferred brand to make it somewhat inexpensive... Personally I like Miller Lite and have my own kegorator neatly handy... You have made the ultimate sin in the refrig world of using a sharp instrument to remove ice from an evaporator coil.. Next time use a hair dryer or just unplug the unit for a few hours with door open.. As for R12, there are replacement refrigerants available to a Pro that are compatible and cheaper... You have to be EPA certified to obtain these compatible refrigerants... The mineral oil used with R12 will not work with the newer 134a refrigerant... Hope this helps, kooler
jbmbsr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:35:34 PM(UTC)
jbmbsr

I believe that I see what you are saying however another question comes to mind then:

Let's just say that I either find someone to repair the perforated 3mm hole that I created in the evaporator coil / plate, or just for shigiggles (shits & giggles) lets say that I just go out and buy aluminum rods and do this myself, (provided of course that I could do something like this myself that is) but again I must say that at the end of the day I have also been known to somehow pull off some things like this every once in a while. But getting back to what I was just proposing let's say I could do this (or get it done) so that it would effectively repair the very small hole that is now definitely there, what would be required to do something such as this Kooler?

I know that the first rule of the day / night would certainly be to not be partaking in my self appointed "MILLER TIME" delight that is for sure... Next, I suspect that I would have to actually defrost and turn off my beloved Beer Fridge for the duration of said repair too correct?

Ok now let's really go out on a limb here all right? Say I somehow do in fact, manage to effect a complete repair of my harpooned freezer hole (and like Larry the Cable guy always says; Get er done!!! so to speak) in other words AGAINST ALL ODDS say that I am able to make the repair without causing any other major damage to my self contained watering hole what then is left to do except for the refilling of the compressor or wherever this stuff is supposed to go? At least I would think that is where it (the R-12 Refrigerant) goes right? (in the compressor)

Granted, I probably do not know where to inject this R-12 (1) If I could even obtain it not being EPA certified and all right? And (2) Once obtained where precisely do I then inject the stuff? Also, one other thing, I noticed that when this had first happened and the gas blew out that another question immediately came to my mind and that is; is there maybe some more left or let's say is there going to be enough R-12 still available in the compressor or the system that might still be in the compressor to do the j o b of re circulating it again through out the BEER FRIDGE where I may not even have to go and try to obtain the R-12? Do you or have you ever heard of doing anything such as this or am I just doing some heavy-duty wishful thinking again?

I hope that I am being somewhat clear on this to you Kooler? So far I am still just sitting here supposing all of it but not yet really actually doing anything about this very unfortunate circumstance...

In closing all that I want to say is that I do very much appreciate your input Kooler. I am starting to get the idea that I may have to get some professional help for my Beer Holder that I have almost mortally wounded hence that is why I called this A DAMN DUMB THING TO DO!!!
Amen?

One last and final thought Kooler: The temperature here today in PA is near 63 degrees I turned down my Beer Fridge to minimum, the ice is still in the ice box but is starting to melt slowly (Keeping my MILLER somewhat cold) however one time or the other it is again going to be MILLER TIME and I am going to have to open it again I just don't know how long this may continue cooling my brew.... Time I guess will tell....

In the mean time, to try and put a bandage on this arterial bleed I have inserted an aluminum screw that is just about the same exact size of the 3mm hole in an attempt to curtail the remaining R-12 from seeping out altogether however upon opening the door there was a awful nasty odor present that I already know was because the screw had not properly sealed the hole properly however, I knew that the screw was probably not going to cure the situation so I have now decided to put some plastic saran wrap over the screw and the hole but I really don't expect that to do anything either let alone stick to the evaporator plate especially when the location is going to be subjected to extremely low COLD temperatures....

I have to make a beer run I am down to only 1 six pack however now that I have damaged my only BEER Keeper I am really in a REAL pickle because even though MILLER HIGH LIFE BEER is my chosen brew it is still not that good when drinking it at room temperature Amen?

Thank you again for your help Kooler....

Jbmbsr. out....
kooler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:42:58 PM(UTC)
kooler

Wow, didn't expect a lengthy response but still glad to offer info... Without getting too involved with Refrigeration 101 I'll try to explain some vital details.. Refrigerants are very touchy chemicals that like to work alone with the exception of compressor oils.. Try to think of the tubing inside your beer fridge as off limits to any outsiders, it needs to be almost exactly like outer space, outside of earth's atmospheric environment.. I say almost only because one would have to journey to outer space to acquire that environment.. But man can come close with the wonderful invention of a vacuum pump.. A necessary tool usually only owned by a Pro refer dude (or gal) because of the expense... The fridge compressor itself or a reclaim device can act as a vacuum pump but will never attain the needed deep vacuum to bring a fridge system down to where it needs to be oust undesirables and to obtain the optimum enviroment before 'injecting' R12 or any other refrigerant... We use the term 'charge' when referring to injecting refrigerant.. And you, my lager-imbibing friend, have made another 'dumb' move by running your fridge even after poking a hole in the evaporator coil... With the release of the 'so-called' ozone depleting refrigerant your fridge cooling system is now empty and the evaporator was subjected to a 'vacuum' which in turn would draw or 'suck' in air and moisture without a doubt thru the newly inflicted 3mm hole with a saran-wrapped screw secured in place... BIGTIME no-nos; your system is now contaminated with air and moisture.. You emptied the system with the first arterial bleed, no more R-12, not even a residual amount... This is something that can happen with a hole that's 50 times thinner than a human hair..
That's why you need a Pro to come visit or better yet, take the fridge to him and work with ice chests for awhile or your PA back porch during JAN... That wouldn't work where I'm at, it's -20° while I'm typing this..
Now you can attempt to repair this hole with aluminum rods like you see the guy at the State Fair who welds several beer cans on top of one another but you still face the problem of a contaminated system so either look for a replacement fridge or take it to a Pro and remember to be kinder and gentler to your trusty and often-taken-for-granted cooling friend... And please pass on your newly gained knowledge to your comrades with libations in hand...
Cheers, Kooler
bentwrench1999  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 7:54:26 AM(UTC)
bentwrench1999

A new Evaporator from Sears is $47.99 plus shipping..a new drier/filter is around $12.00..you'll be charged for at least a lb. of refrigerant...$15.00...sealed system repair $175.00(maybe)..add all that up, not counting the brain damage :confused: , you should do the honorable thing..bury your beer buddy and adopt a new one from Wally World..for about $150.00..:) wrench
dexter  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 11:34:18 AM(UTC)
dexter

I agree, the costs associated to repair this machine will be much more than buying a new or used one. Check out Craigslist in your area as they always have people selling good, used beer fridges!
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:30:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you waited too long before unplugging the unit, the compressor has sucked in water and is questionable. also you must allow money to get the water out!