Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
barefoot14  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:24:40 PM(UTC)
barefoot14

Groups: Registered

We built our house in 2001 and installed a Broan 1050 trash compactor. We had no idea that the 12" width was being phased out by manufacturers. Now every website we visit only has 15" width. Any ideas? :confused: Having new cabinets made beneath the granite could be costly! Our Broan has seen its better days, we're ready for a new product.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Sue T. Hull  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:39:56 PM(UTC)
Sue T. Hull

We're in the same boat. We bought a Broan 12 inch that has now died, and we can't find a 12 inch replacement. Help!!!!
barefoot14  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:31:57 AM(UTC)
barefoot14

Originally Posted by: Sue T. Hull Go to Quoted Post
We're in the same boat. We bought a Broan 12 inch that has now died, and we can't find a 12 inch replacement. Help!!!!

They told me that when I bought my compactor in 2001 they had NO IDEA they would stop making that size, they had to do it because all their competitors were. However they assured me that all the replacement parts to keep mine functioning were available. My husband did buy a $15 chain and repaired it himself using the manual. I checked with a cabinet builder and he said he could shorten the drawers to the left of the unit (making the opening large enough to accommodate a 15 inch model) for about $100 if my husband could figure out a way to get the cabinet out from under the granite where it is possibly glued so firmly it would have to be torn apart to remove. So I am putting off this for awhile longer and keeping my bashed up looking 12" compactor that makes horrible noises and doesn't look or work as nicely as the newer models.

Oh, I did see a 12" model on the major auction site, so check there. Thanks a lot Broan.
H.Edward  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:41:20 AM(UTC)
H.Edward

I got tired of looking for a new or used 12" and replaced it with a new 12" wine cooler. I was selling the house and it was a lot cheaper than removing the granite countertop and replacing the cherry cabinets. The wine cooler looked classier also, and slid right in.
barefoot14  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:52:14 AM(UTC)
barefoot14

Originally Posted by: H.Edward Go to Quoted Post
I got tired of looking for a new or used 12" and replaced it with a new 12" wine cooler. I was selling the house and it was a lot cheaper than removing the granite countertop and replacing the cherry cabinets. The wine cooler looked classier also, and slid right in.

Great idea! What brand or model of wine cooler did you get?
Nancy402  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 11:45:53 AM(UTC)
Nancy402

Originally Posted by: barefoot14 Go to Quoted Post
Great idea! What brand or model of wine cooler did you get?

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!! what kind of wine cooler did you purchase? Damn Broan!:mad:
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 1:36:17 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: barefoot14 Go to Quoted Post
We built our house in 2001 and installed a Broan 1050 trash compactor. We had no idea that the 12" width was being phased out by manufacturers. Now every website we visit only has 15" width. Any ideas? :confused: Having new cabinets made beneath the granite could be costly! Our Broan has seen its better days, we're ready for a new product.

You may want to try visiting your local appliance dealer(s)

They may have access to older stock items or a floor display model that you may purchase.

I have had good success in the past, when in similar situations.

Good luck.
DavidNJ  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 12:01:02 PM(UTC)
DavidNJ

This isn't an item many dealers stock; it has long since been sold out. Broan has the parts, but that only works if you can do the repair and don't mind having a appliance that show wear and tear (trash compactors get more abuse than anything else in a kitchen. To replace it requires thousands of dollars of cabinet work if it can even been made to fit.

This is a case where Broan should have retained at least one 12" sku.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 1:01:57 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DavidNJ Go to Quoted Post
This isn't an item many dealers stock; it has long since been sold out. Broan has the parts, but that only works if you can do the repair and don't mind having a appliance that show wear and tear (trash compactors get more abuse than anything else in a kitchen. To replace it requires thousands of dollars of cabinet work if it can even been made to fit.

This is a case where Broan should have retained at least one 12" sku.

Sorry about all the bad news,

I have to admit, it's been a while since I saw a 12" trash compactor.

Hopefully a good carpenter or cabinet maker can advise you in a less expensive remedy for the cabinet problem.
DavidNJ  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 2:00:03 PM(UTC)
DavidNJ

If you are lucky, you'd be able to remove the counter and replace it without breaking it. If it is granite, corian, that can be very difficult. At least several $100, if not $1000 or so assuming it doesn't break. Then if you are lucky you need one adjoining cabinet, maybe $500. Equally likely it is near a corner (since is it most likely next to a 36" or wider sink cabinet) and you also have to replace a complex corner cabinet. Now we may be looking at $1-2000 for cabinets, if they are still available and the ones in the kitchen haven't faded. Then you get to replace the unit.

Failure to continue some form of 12" compactor when there are thousands installed was just not a good policy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply