Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
templejazz82  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:55:28 AM(UTC)
templejazz82

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone- Brand new here. My Fiance had put a little too much laundry in our Kenmore Washer yesterday and not the sucker will not spin or drain. I unplugged the unit, removed the tube going to the sewer from the back and it drained out by gravity (and got the whole floor wet!). It worked fine up until yesterday. I am assuming based on hours of research that it is a Lid Switch issue? Is this the case? If so, for a novice, is it difficult to replace? I know I could search, but I am not sure if I am asking the right questions. The bottom peice of metal on the existing lid switch is just sorta hanging down, so the plastic piece that would push it is not even touching it. It is Kenmore 80 Series Top Loading washer, model number 11020832990. Please give any insight if you can. I know the part number to order from this fine site, if that is the issue.

Thanks!

Matt
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

templejazz82  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:27:17 AM(UTC)
templejazz82

anyone have any insight to this? Not to be pushy, just trying to get the right info!
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:15:59 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You can determine if it is the lid switch if you by pass it and the washer will drain and spin.

To do this, take off the two screws holding the console to the cabinet. You will see a plastic coupling connecting wires from the console to the wires going into the cabinet. This is the lid switch.

Unhook the connector, and take an insulated piece of wire with the ends exposed and insert it into the outer holes on the connector coming from the console. Try the machine in spin mode, and if it does spin, replace the lid switch.

You do that by taking out the two clips that hold the cabinet to the back with a flat blade screw driver, and then pull the cabinet towards you. This will give you access to the lid switch.

Good luck, let us know if that's the problem.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:12:54 AM(UTC)
magician59

If it quit working after an unusually heavy load, chances are the motor coupler is broken. A good clue is a garbled grinding noise when you select a spin cycle.
templejazz82  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:49:13 AM(UTC)
templejazz82

I actually get nothing when I choose spin cycle. I see that the Lid Switch is severely bent, so I ordered one to replace it either way. I really hope it was the issue, but either way, it needed replacing, from the loops of it. The plastic piece on the top of the lid was not even reaching to the lid switch, cause it was so bent.

So yeah, no spin at all, so no grinding sound!
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:02:15 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds like a good start, let us know what happens.
templejazz82  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:13:24 PM(UTC)
templejazz82

I will. Fed Ex delivered the part today, so I will be checking it out when I get home. The body is already loosened and ready to be worked on, so it should not be a terrible amount of time. I think what happened is the heavy load knocked into it, loosening it and breaking it. We shall see.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:39:17 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Sounds like a plan, we look forward to learning what happens.
templejazz82  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:31:48 PM(UTC)
templejazz82

All- it is 1:30 AM Eastern Time, I have a slight buzz, and I come to bring the news of great success. Thanks to the help on this forum, I learned how to repair a lid switch. Before it was repaired, the spin would not happen and the water would not drain. I just did my first ever repair, and it went great. The washer is doing what it should...wash clothes!!

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in! While it was a bitch putting the cabinet back on, everything worked out as I sobered up a little :)

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 5:20:42 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, great, just watch those heavy loads in the future, although when you have teenagers in the house that will be a losing battle.

Everyone has trouble getting the cabinet back on the first time, it's sorta of a rite of passage. I know everyone laughed at me when I first tried it.

Good luck with your machine, tell your friends about your success and thanks for updating us.