Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pat LaPorte  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:45:36 PM(UTC)
Pat LaPorte

Groups: Registered

I was baking a frozen pizza and when I shut off the oven, the heating element still glowed red. I turned the oven back on and off one time and waited several minutes before finally shutting off the breaker. After the oven cooled, I turned the power back on and tried to repeat the problem but could not. Does anyone recognize this problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dan O.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:37:25 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
the heating element still glowed red.

The whole element or maybe just part (1/2 or less) of it?

Quote:
I turned the oven back on and off one time and waited several minutes before finally shutting off the breaker.

If the element was and is heating uniformly, I can only think a 'sticking' relay in the electronic control could be responsible. That could present a fire hazard if not monitored during use. :eek:

If only part of the element was heating, the element being shorted to ground might cause it in some cases.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
Pat LaPorte  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:47:32 AM(UTC)
Pat LaPorte

Dan O.

Thanks for the reply. The whole element was glowing red. Does this mean if I set the oven for a certain temp then the oven could stick on and just keep heating to well over that temp? If so, which part wants to be replaced?

Thanks,
Pat
Dan O.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:21:11 AM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
Does this mean if I set the oven for a certain temp then the oven could stick on and just keep heating to well over that temp?

Yes, that could happen if one of the control relays 'stuck'. I don't know if your model has any sort of built-in safeties that would shut down the oven before it went Chernobyl. :eek:

I strongly suggest it be closely monitored while in use.

Quote:
If so, which part wants to be replaced?

If a relay on the control was staying active even when it shouldn't resulting in uncontrolled heating, the whole electronic control would usually need to be replaced. The control is what is responsible for turning the elements on and off.

LINK > GR396LXGQ0 Electronic Control, White (no picture)

BTW. The control for your model in black and almond look to have been discontinued and are no longer available. I'm not sure what color the one on your model presently is but the only replacement that looks to still be available is white.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
Pat LaPorte  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:40:29 PM(UTC)
Pat LaPorte

Dan O.

As I was rereading the thread your statement about the element possibly being shorted to ground got me thinking about something that happened a week or two ago. I was cleaning the oven the old-fashioned way with oven cleaner and I decided to pull the screws and remove the element so it wasn't in the way. When I was done and I plugged the blade connectors back onto the element I was surprised to get a little poke of electricity but didn't think much of it. (This is where you're probably laughing.) Do you think that signals a problem? Should I look into the oven from the back to see if something is grounding out?

I really appreciate your help. Being unemployed at this time, I'm hoping to avoid the cost of a new electronic control.

Thanks,
Pat
Dan O.  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:56:04 PM(UTC)
Dan O.

Quote:
The whole element was glowing red.... Should I look into the oven from the back to see if something is grounding out?

I wouldn't expect the element to glow red hot if its wiring was shorted. A "short" would usually result in only 120 volts going through the element not the 240 needed to make it glow.

Quote:
I plugged the blade connectors back onto the element I was surprised to get a little poke of electricity

You disconnected the element without shutting off power to the whole appliance (ie. as in at the house breaker)? :eek:

A short occurring at the element could have damaged the control relay or the control circuit board itself. I think your appliance just having a short in it responsible for your symptom is unlikely. You can check if you like though... with the power turned OFF! :rolleyes:

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
RodB  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:03:58 AM(UTC)
RodB

I had a similar problem. While doing a routine bake the elements would not shut off, the door locked and the display went completely dead -- no LEDs or buttons worked. I tripped the circuit breaker and it all returned to normal. This was a one-time thing... so far. Any ideas?

I called and wrote Whirlpool to no avail. I thought about writing the consumer product safety folks as this struck me as an extermely hazardous fault, capable of burning down the house, but didn't.
okarrow  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2021 10:47:12 AM(UTC)
okarrow

United States

I had the same problem; oven element would not turn off. The relay was stuck. Unplugged the oven, removed the back panel, plugged the oven back in and taped the relays with handle of a wooden spoon. The stuck relay opened immediately and works fine now.

On the back of the control board near where they wires for the oven elements connect, there are 2 relays, one for the upper element and one for the lower.

[img=https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pNyJWPih4l5o22wlq8COyoRvm8D6LUG/view?usp=sharing]Relays[/img]

Edited by user Monday, September 20, 2021 10:53:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply