Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jarrett  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 9:41:42 AM(UTC)
Jarrett

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Washer model hav2357aww that was purchased new on 6/4/05. When it was a year old it started making a squeeking and knocking noise and it seemed like the tub would spin off balance. The tub would also spin slightly while agitating even though it wasn't supposed to. I also found a white powder like substance underneath the machine. On 8/16/06 I had a Maytag repair man fix it and he replaced the Brake Rotor & Lining, Stator Brake, and Snubber. He said it was the 2nd machine that week that he repaired with the same problems. All was well until about a month ago. It's now making the same sounds, just not quite as bad. I'm thinking about repairing it myself if it ends up being the same thing. Any ideas about this problem. Are there any known issues with this model. You would think if this was a known problem it would get a recall.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:36:57 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You can find the complete instructions in the service manual.

Good luck and Happy New year.

Gene.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 4:53:34 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
They are using the standard cheap snubber material that wears out fast.
Just follow the directions in the manual and replace the snubber and sprinkle corn starch on the bearing surfaces, supposed to keep the wear down.
I have serviced many of the same style washer that were more than six years old and the snubber was still ok. Just the newer ones have this problem.
Jarrett  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 7:53:04 AM(UTC)
Jarrett

I got the new parts and replaced them (Brake Rotor, Hub, and Snubber). It's still making some of the noise, just not as bad. The tub is still turning slightly while on the wash and rinse cycles (while the agitator is working). When it spins that very small amount you can hear the squeak of the brake slipping on the hub. The tub isn't supposed to spin during these to cycles correct? I don't know what else to do. I guess I'll have to get a repairman out to fix it.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 1:04:11 PM(UTC)
richappy

Did you find any oil on the brake linings, they recommend to remove all oil from the housing. Also, the corn starch is for the snubber only.
It's possible the brake housing is warped or has burrs or grooves in it, they recommend to use emory paper on it to prevent slipping.
Jarrett  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 3:46:46 PM(UTC)
Jarrett

I was very careful to not get any oil.grease on it. I put the cornstarch on the snubber only. I'll probably take it down again and make sure though.

Thanks
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:10:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

One thing the "better" car mechanics do, is grind the flywheel to take the glazed finish off and make it have a better gripping surface.