Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2023 10:49:06 AM(UTC)

I removed the o-rings from the new filter and replaced them with two slightly fatter (chubbier) o-rings. I also applied some teflon goo that keeps o-rings lubricated. I inserted the previously leaky (new) filter and there is no dripping (so far). I am going to monitor it by leaving the front grate off the bottom front of the fridge for a few days.
jtdale2000 Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:30:42 PM(UTC)

I am having the same problem. Next time I will do my research before I purchase a refrigerator. I am so frustrated I am ready to buy a new one and put this one in the garage where it cant do any more harm
seabaughs Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:38:23 AM(UTC)

No problem leaving the filter out. You just won't get water in the door or for additional ice.
F14flyer Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:03:18 PM(UTC)

Ok... Getting ready to leave tonight to meet a friend and kitchen floor around fridge was leaking. Pulled back off and then saw the pan was full. Discovered that the port on filter housing had water coming out.

Removed filter and leak stopped. Looks like replacing the filter will not do the job (for long anyway). Think I'll do what you guys suggested. Is there any problems with not putting the filter back in in the meantime?
seabaughs Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:47:57 PM(UTC)

sorry for the repeat... I thought I dumped the previous post :-/
seabaughs Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:46:11 PM(UTC)

I need at least 10 word to get rid of my duplicate post :-/
seabaughs Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:33:07 PM(UTC)

Remove the cover behind the filter housing from the ceilingof the fridge. Mine had only one screewwith a ¼” head. Use a small socket ofnut-driver. Cut the two lines about 2inches from the filter assy. You can cutan inch of sample line to take to the hardware store if you like. They should give you a 5/16ths union. Also buy a universal filter for the ¼ inchwater line behind the fridge. You’llspend about $20 total.

Tighten the union over the two lines you cut inside. You’ll have to bow the two lines toward eachother. Make sure they don’t fold and pinch. I was able to get the cover back over thelines with little effort. Then installthe universal filter behind the fridge per the instructions.

Now future filter changes will cost you about $17. These filters are charcoal filters. They are good as long as they flow. They will not bypass unfiltered water; theywill just load-up. Disregard your filterlight on the fridge and replace the filter when the water flow is too slow foryour liking.
DitzyDame Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 3:00:02 PM(UTC)

HOW DO YOU CUT THE FILTER OUT??????

Originally Posted by: seabaughs Go to Quoted Post

What is leaking is the filter itself. I am absolutely certain of this ! The end of the filter assembly where it was
glued together is leaking at that seam.
It is not the “o” rings or the mount assembly in the fridge. I’ve put 8 or more filter cartridges in
mine. I’ve J.B. welded the seam over and
over and they still start leaking again.
I finally got smart and cut the lines behind the filter housing and
connected them together with a 5/16ths union.
This completely bypasses the filter assembly. Then I put a standard inline filter on the ¼ inch
line behind the refrigerator. As you
know, the cartridge for your refrigerator is about $50. A standard in-line filter is $17. I spent countless hours trying to figure out
where the leak was coming from and then countless hours trying to get it to stop
leaking. I even J.B welded a new,
non-leaking cartridge and it started to leak too. If you doubt me, remove your cartridge (with
water still in it. Place a small water
balloon over one of the nipples on the back.
Blow up a second balloon and place it over the other nipple. Lay it on its side and in less than a minute
you’ll see water drops forming. Cut that piece of cr@p out and put a standard
filter behind the refrigerator… to do anything else is futile !

DitzyDame Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 2:56:20 PM(UTC)

I have the EXACT same problem... but what I can't figure out is why it's leaking water when the hoses were disconnected from the water source a year ago! Where is the water coming from? These appliances are so expensive and I can't just go out and buy another one. Unfortunately... I'm a girl who doesn't know anything about appliance repair (wish I did) so I don't know how to remove filters or disconnect hoses or whatever. I hate that I can't use the icemaker, but I gladly gave that up in hopes of ending the water leak. I just wish I didn't have to clean out water every couple days because of this stupid leak!!!
LetMikeyDoIt Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 9:10:07 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: seabaughs Go to Quoted Post

What is leaking is the filter itself. I am absolutely certain of this ! The end of the filter assembly where it was
glued together is leaking at that seam.
It is not the “o” rings or the mount assembly in the fridge. I’ve put 8 or more filter cartridges in
mine. I’ve J.B. welded the seam over and
over and they still start leaking again.
I finally got smart and cut the lines behind the filter housing and
connected them together with a 5/16ths union.
This completely bypasses the filter assembly. Then I put a standard inline filter on the ¼ inch
line behind the refrigerator. As you
know, the cartridge for your refrigerator is about $50. A standard in-line filter is $17. I spent countless hours trying to figure out
where the leak was coming from and then countless hours trying to get it to stop
leaking. I even J.B welded a new,
non-leaking cartridge and it started to leak too. If you doubt me, remove your cartridge (with
water still in it. Place a small water
balloon over one of the nipples on the back.
Blow up a second balloon and place it over the other nipple. Lay it on its side and in less than a minute
you’ll see water drops forming. Cut that piece of cr@p out and put a standard
filter behind the refrigerator… to do anything else is futile !

THANKS For Your Post! I have the same problem and was thinking I would try a new filter, but they are not cheap :eek: (for me $50 bucks is a lot of money!) so I checked online before buying one. I wasn't sure I would find anything about my specific water leaking into the fridge problem, but it seems a LOT of people have the same problem ! Thanks again your reply was very helpful.