Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
aws1963 Posted: Friday, January 3, 2014 4:50:18 PM(UTC)

Well Eric,

Good call. I traced the orange wire down to the motor and gave it a tug. Wire popped right out minus clip. Seems the wire was not crimped on to the clip and had worked loose. Took 10+ years to work loose. Got the clip out of the plug and crimped it and plugged it back in. Fired up the washer, and low and behold "she works".

Thanks for all your help. I would not have noticed it if you did not alert me to check the orange wire.

I now have a very happy wife! :D
aws1963 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:09:57 PM(UTC)

I'll get on it in the mid to late AM tomorrow.

Wife just poured me a Bailey's and decaf, so that will take priority! :D

Thanks again for all your help. I'll post what I find tomorrow.
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:57:46 PM(UTC)

Ok, that's the spray function that occurs during first part of final spin. Your washer is not going into spin, only drain which is via the blue wire. So need to check for 120vac at timer connection orange wire (the one that goes down to the motor). Must check with timer connector plugged in and timer in spin mode (not drain...i.e. beyond the 2 minute drain period). If you have 120vac there then need to do the checks in my post #6 at motor connector. Check that motor connector for broken orange wire or burned/corroded terminal inside that connector or motor switch. Motor switch is what the connector plugs into on the motor. If you do have 120vac at orange wire and connector/terminals look ok I can advise on checking the motor switch. Lid switch must be bypassed when cabinet off and testing in spin mode.

Eric
aws1963 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:27:39 PM(UTC)

Well, it's spinning while draining for about 45 seconds, then continues to spin for another 60-70 seconds. Then nothing for a couple of minutes until the dial moves a bit, then it refills and does the 45 second spin/drain and subsequent 60 second spin.

I did just notice after the last spin it put a little water back in the drum from the top. After all is said and done, there is about 1" of water in the drum.
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:58:27 PM(UTC)

Yes, but it should spin for longer than 2 minutes. Motor should pause for a few seconds after the 2 minute period and then start again and run (spin) for about 6 more minutes. If not, then timer is not likely the problem.

Eric
aws1963 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:30:50 PM(UTC)

Ok. Ran the washer on small load and it filled, sat during the agitation cycle, then drained and spun for about 2 minutes. Checked the continuity between the speed switch and the timer on the orange wire and it's a closed circuit. Guess I am on to buying a new timer!

I did notice the washer spun while draining. Took about 45 seconds to drain and then continued to spin for another 70-75 seconds. In your post #6 you stated this would probably happen.
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:08:03 PM(UTC)

Ok, sounds good. You can actually forego all that. If the washer spins for more than 2 minutes, then I know the orange wire from timer to motor is ok as well as the motor speed switch (located at motor). So, if it spins for more than 2 minutes, just check continuity of the orange wire between control panel speed switch and timer. If ok, then timer is bad.

Eric
aws1963 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:53:48 PM(UTC)

Eric,

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate your advice and walking me through the troubleshooting procedures. I will go through the process you described tomorrow as I have plans this evening.

I'll follow up with a post on my findings.
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:43:50 PM(UTC)

Well, now you need to remove the cabinet and check the orange wire at the motor. Check for 120vac at orange wire while connector is plugged into motor and washer should be agitating. If you don't have it, check same orange wire at motor connector while in spin. That's spin, not drain. Directly after agitation stops and drain starts, power to motor is via blue wire. After 2 minute drain, motor should pause, then start again for spin, power is via orange wire. If you don't have power at motor connector orange wire during agitation but do have it there during spin, then check continuity of the orange wire between speed switch and timer connector. If good, then the timer is bad. You will have to jump out the lid switch for power during spin mode.

I realize your washer does spin but need to make sure that it spins when timer is in spin and not drain. During drain, gearcase is in neutral and will drain without spinning for 2 minutes, however, since your washer won't agitate, the gearcase will not go into neutral (neutral is set during agitate) which means washer will go into spin right away when timer gets to drain. Probably confusing you but just trying to prove for sure that the problem is the timer and not a bad connection at the motor connector orange wire or even possibly the motor speed switch.

Cabinet removal: Cabinet removing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Lid switch bypass: Lid switch bypassing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Whirlpool 3951769 Timer-Washer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
aws1963 Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:34:53 PM(UTC)

Voltage to both was 123 vac.

Jumped the two blue/white and orange during the "agitate" cycle and nothing happened.