Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Joe / APP Team Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 5:52:37 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: dhs70flh Go to Quoted Post
Joe, just a couple of more questions before I go away. #1 You mentioned a problem with the freezer wiring harness - Where do I find that - I'm assuming in the freezer somewhere?? #2 When I installed the new mother board (WR55X10942) in step 2 it said "eliminate thermistor wire in pin 2 of J1 connector". It had a note that said it was only applicable for - all bottom freezer models and Encoder models with certain serial number prefixes. My refrig is neither of those stated in the note. However, I do have a wire in pin 2 of connector J1 but, no wire in pin 1 of J1 connector. The illustration in the instructions has wires in pins 1 & 2 of connector J1. Therefore, I DID NOT cut the wire on pin 2 of J1 connector. Is that correct??

I'm about to give up. Thanks for your help anyway.

Dhs,

You did fine, and followed the instrutions correctly.

Your freezer wire harness is located behind the back wall of the freezer, in the evaporator area, there are several multi plug connectors, and you need to separate them, check for moisture and corrosion, inside the connectors, clean and re attach the connections.

Hope you don't give up too soon.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
dhs70flh Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2011 2:27:56 PM(UTC)

Joe, just a couple of more questions before I go away. #1 You mentioned a problem with the freezer wiring harness - Where do I find that - I'm assuming in the freezer somewhere?? #2 When I installed the new mother board (WR55X10942) in step 2 it said "eliminate thermistor wire in pin 2 of J1 connector". It had a note that said it was only applicable for - all bottom freezer models and Encoder models with certain serial number prefixes. My refrig is neither of those stated in the note. However, I do have a wire in pin 2 of connector J1 but, no wire in pin 1 of J1 connector. The illustration in the instructions has wires in pins 1 & 2 of connector J1. Therefore, I DID NOT cut the wire on pin 2 of J1 connector. Is that correct??

I'm about to give up. Thanks for your help anyway.
Joe / APP Team Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:47:37 AM(UTC)

Evaporator coil still frosting without a defrost. After ordering new mother board I manually defrosted the evaporator coil intending to use the refrig until the mother board showed up. As it worked out the refrig started running defrost cycles for at least three cycles that I know of. But, after about 4 weeks it ceased defrosting. I then went with the new mother board. In doing that I jumpered the plug between (DEFR & LINE) to insure that the defrost heater and defrost hi limit thermostat were still OK. When the jumper was in place on the plug and the refrig plugged in, the defrost heater glowed red and seems OK.

So, I replaced the mother board. After doing so it went thru several defrost cycles and seemed OK. But, again after about 2 or 3 weeks the evaporator coil frosted completely again. Again manually defrosted and watched it go thru two defrost cycles (by watching the water catch tray). Once again, it ceased defrosting. I thought that the earth ground wire looked a little inadequate so I wired a supplement wire to the chassis to insure the earth ground on the mother board is good. But, once again it went thru a couple of defrost cycles and then quit defrosting.

I'm at a loss - do you have any suggestions? I don't know what triggers the defrost cycle but it seems that whatever the trigger, it doesn't seem to think it needs to defrost (too bad it's not a timer like in the old days). Thank god I have a 20 year old refrig in the garage to fall back on when the 4 year old one craps out.

Dhs,

I'm at a loss as well, nothing makes sense at this point.
Your defrost cycle is controlled through the "new" motherboard, by the inputs from the door switches and thermistors, etc.

"Freezer Defrost Cycle

The freezer evaporator utilizes a defrost heater to remove frost from the coil. The control board determines the length of time the heater is energized. It does this by monitoring the freezer evaporator thermistor. Once the temperature of the thermistor reaches 75°F, the control cycles the defrost heater off. A bi-metal safety thermostat provides a backup in the event the evaporator thermistor fails. The safety thermostat prevents the temperature from exceeding 140°F."

My best guess, a loose wire or connection at the freezer wiring harness.
You may want to disconnect, dry out all the connectors, and put a coat of vaseline or di electric grease on/in the connector(s) when you re attach them. This will help to keep moisture out of the connection and causing the wires to separate.

:) :) :)

dhs70flh Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:55:09 PM(UTC)

Evaporator coil still frosting without a defrost. After ordering new mother board I manually defrosted the evaporator coil intending to use the refrig until the mother board showed up. As it worked out the refrig started running defrost cycles for at least three cycles that I know of. But, after about 4 weeks it ceased defrosting. I then went with the new mother board. In doing that I jumpered the plug between (DEFR & LINE) to insure that the defrost heater and defrost hi limit thermostat were still OK. When the jumper was in place on the plug and the refrig plugged in, the defrost heater glowed red and seems OK.

So, I replaced the mother board. After doing so it went thru several defrost cycles and seemed OK. But, again after about 2 or 3 weeks the evaporator coil frosted completely again. Again manually defrosted and watched it go thru two defrost cycles (by watching the water catch tray). Once again, it ceased defrosting. I thought that the earth ground wire looked a little inadequate so I wired a supplement wire to the chassis to insure the earth ground on the mother board is good. But, once again it went thru a couple of defrost cycles and then quit defrosting.

I'm at a loss - do you have any suggestions? I don't know what triggers the defrost cycle but it seems that whatever the trigger, it doesn't seem to think it needs to defrost (too bad it's not a timer like in the old days). Thank god I have a 20 year old refrig in the garage to fall back on when the 4 year old one craps out.
Joe / APP Team Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 11:34:32 AM(UTC)

:) :) :) Joe, Thanks for your help. It's been a pleasure working with you. Thanks again. I'm going to order the part now.

Dhs,

It was my pleasure, working with you.

Let us know when you're up and running, we'd appreciate it.

dhs70flh Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 11:26:55 AM(UTC)

:) :) :) Joe, Thanks for your help. It's been a pleasure working with you. Thanks again. I'm going to order the part now.
Joe / APP Team Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 10:16:27 AM(UTC)

Joe, The measurement across J9 and pin 9 of J4 didn't read 120v (assuming that the pins are numbered from left to right looking at the top side of the motherboard). Instead - 1.4 mV with J4 plugged into the
motherboard
- 1.4 mv with J4 unplugged measuring
pin 9 of the plug
- 1.1 V with J4 unplugged measuring
pin 9 on the motherboard

In addition, I jumpered J9 and J11 with it disconnected from the motherboard and the defrost heater glowed bright read within a minute.

Bad motherboard???

DHS,

Yes, bad "Motherboard", But now we're sure.

Part number: AP4436216
Part number: AP4436216

Sorry it took as long as it did, and thanks for the extra effort.

dhs70flh Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 9:06:01 AM(UTC)

Joe, The measurement across J9 and pin 9 of J4 didn't read 120v (assuming that the pins are numbered from left to right looking at the top side of the motherboard). Instead - 1.4 mV with J4 plugged into the
motherboard
- 1.4 mv with J4 unplugged measuring
pin 9 of the plug
- 1.1 V with J4 unplugged measuring
pin 9 on the motherboard

In addition, I jumpered J9 and J11 with it disconnected from the motherboard and the defrost heater glowed bright read within a minute.

Bad motherboard???
Joe / APP Team Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:33:20 PM(UTC)

:confused: :confused: Joe, I Hate to appear denser than I am, but I still have a question. I think my problem has been that you have been talking about the motherboard looking at it from a horizontal aspect as pictured in the parts picture (J8, J9, & J11 on the left side). In the refrigerator it is mounted in a vertical position with the Jxx located on the bottom. So much as to why I was confused.

My question is which pin represents 'line', my guess is it's 'J11', but I want to be sure. I think the jumper should be between 'J11' and 'J9'. Correct?????? Thankyou in advance. :)

DHS,

Almost,

Try this check for voltage,on the board,

J9 Blue Defrost heater Output J9 to J7 pin 9 = 120 VAC, then jump the J11pin 1 to J9pin 1

Lets see what happens.

dhs70flh Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:54:25 PM(UTC)

:confused: :confused: Joe, I Hate to appear denser than I am, but I still have a question. I think my problem has been that you have been talking about the motherboard looking at it from a horizontal aspect as pictured in the parts picture (J8, J9, & J11 on the left side). In the refrigerator it is mounted in a vertical position with the Jxx located on the bottom. So much as to why I was confused.

My question is which pin represents 'line', my guess is it's 'J11', but I want to be sure. I think the jumper should be between 'J11' and 'J9'. Correct?????? Thankyou in advance. :)