Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
twentw Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:18:13 PM(UTC)

Yes it rotates fine. The problem is really intermittent - when the pinion hits the place where there's no teeth, it stops. It may or may not subsequently reengage.

My real problem is this - What caused this problem in the first place? I'd hate to replace the part for $60 only to have it happen again. Any ideas?
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:59:57 PM(UTC)

Yes, that is the spin gear. Does it rotate when you rotate the input shaft clockwise? Stripped teeth on the spin gear can cause no spin or intermittent spin. If the gear rotates ok when rotating the input shaft, all you need to do is replace the gear. If it doesn't rotate, you need to remove the gear and inspect the neutral drain parts underneath.

Eric
twentw Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:09:36 PM(UTC)

I disassembled the gearcase, and it looks like it works fine (comparing to a YouTube video). The only thing I see is that the large plastic gear has a couple of places where its teeth have been ground down. Could that be the issue?
twentw Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:09:14 PM(UTC)

OK. I assume the gearcase is the piece that the coupler attaches to on one end and the clutch hub attaches to on the other? How do I get into it?
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:40:48 PM(UTC)

Rotating the input shaft of the gearcase clockwise should cause the clutch hub to rotate. If it doesn't, the gearcase is bad. The gearcase is serviceable with some parts readily available. If your handy, you might as well open it up. I can walk you through what to look for if you want. Rotating the input shaft counterclockwise will cause agitation. It will take multiple turns to see the agitator shaft move as there is about a 9:1 gear ratio.

Eric
twentw Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:16:08 PM(UTC)

I previously had a problem with my washer not spinning (see http://forum.appliancepartspros...-problem.html#post782982) and I fixed it by replacing the clutch. It worked fine for 4 months, but now it won't spin (not sure about agitation, but I don't think so) and makes a loud noise when it's supposed to spin.

I took off the motor and the coupler appears fine. But when I spin the coupler (either way) the clutch does not move at all. Does this mean I have a transmission problem or could it be something else?