Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tino2003  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:06:20 PM(UTC)
tino2003

Groups: Registered

I have a Magic Chef Model No. CTN1511GEW problem is frost build up. I have tried everything I can think of and the frost build up continues. I have defrosted the freezer using a hair dryer but careful not to heat it at any section of the frost for too long. On reconnecting the electrical cord to the outlet the refrigerator works perfectly and runs for 6 hours then shuts of. I don’t know how many minutes before restarting because the compressor is very quite and I don hear it. But it stopped again after 3 hours and works normal after that but after 3 to 4 days the frost starts building up.

I don’t know if it is the defrost heater, defrost thermostat or defrost timer. I know how all these items look but I cannot find a defrost timer. I don’t know what can go wrong on a defrost heater because it is simply a rod covered with clear plastic.

Also there is a condenser in the compressor compartment just left of the compressor but nearer to the wall of the refrigerator. I have seen a printing in a repair help “Change suggested”. It did not say change if bad. Why such a suggestion if it may still be good.

Also how can I test the defrosters for efficiency?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SublimeMasterJW  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:58:40 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The temp control,light, and defrost control are all neatly tucked together into one package in the fresh food compartment. Remove the 2 screws holding the console and it will drop down exposing the the defrost timer. If your serial number starts with a 10 then you have an adaptive defrost control which is probably 50 bucks. I would make sure the heater and defrost thermostat are working first. More than likely it is the heater. They are made of glass 20 inch's long and do fail quite often. While you are at it you need to replace the defrost terminator thats the small disk that attaches to the the glass tube and shuts it down when the temperature gets warm enough to melt the frost.
tino2003  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:28:47 PM(UTC)
tino2003

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

I see a console that holds the light bulb. If that is what you are referring to it has 3 screws. This is a Magic Chef Model no CTN1511GEW.

Tino
SublimeMasterJW  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:14:07 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Thats it.Three screws.
tino2003  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:28:22 PM(UTC)
tino2003

Thanks again.

I see all that you mentioned but how do I test these to find out if they are functioning or not. I feel that the culprit is eitherthe Defrost Heater or Defrost Thermostat Assemply. What do you think?

A diagram was in the console but I don't understad that at this moment.

Tino
SublimeMasterJW  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 10:07:45 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Get an ohm meter or get a flash light and run 2 wires out of it so when you touch the wires together the light will come on(poormans meter) Then you should be able to check each component for continuity. You can get an old lamp cord and put aligator clips on the heater and briefly power it up to see if it comes on. The terminator needs to be placed into a freezer for 2 hours and then it should have continuity. When it warms up it opens and shuts down that heater so you won't melt the ice box.
tino2003  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:21:42 AM(UTC)
tino2003

Thank you again. I am not too clear on much of this section. What might a terminator is? And it sounds as though when I connect the alligator clips it will light up because you can't see heat. Maybe you can re-phrase the paragraph since I am a novice.

Thanks

:mad: You can get an old lamp cord and put aligator clips on the heater and briefly power it up to see if it comes on. The terminator needs to be placed into a freezer for 2 hours and then it should have continuity. When it warms up it opens and shuts down that heater so you won't melt the ice box.
SublimeMasterJW  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:59:32 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

To defrost the freezer we use a heater. This heater is powerful.It only takes a few minutes to do its job. This heater will burn down the house. So the terminator kills this heater before it does a meltdown. The terminator will close contacts and allow the heater to engage at 25F. When the evaporator space reach's 50 degrees the terminator kills the power. Why? Because the defrost cycle lasts for 21 minutes. Then the compressor kicks in and begins another grueling 8 hour day.
tino2003  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 12:10:28 AM(UTC)
tino2003

I cleand something under the frig that right of the compressor and has a fan blowing air into it. Left about 7 inches of space between the wall and the frig. It has been woking fine since. Do you what I am talking about and what it is. The frig don't run 8 hours though maybe it is because I don't open it regularly?

Why don't you tell me where the terminator is because I see no such thing in diagrams i have seen. Would really like the location of the terminator.

Thanks again.
SublimeMasterJW  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 6:43:49 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

check it out the terminator is a small thermo disk wired directly to the heater with one wire:a water valve double.jpgfind the heater up in here and the little bitty terminator will be attached to it with a wire.It looks like this:dryer coil kit.jpg
SublimeMasterJW attached the following image(s):
a frige.jpg
terminator 2.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply