Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dthms  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:56:16 AM(UTC)
dthms

Groups: Registered

Hello. I am having problems with my ice maker, just like alot of other people are. I have done the troubleshooting that I found online, jumping the T-H (I believe) etc. I thought it was going to be the optics, purchased new optics, and still have the same problems. The optics are flashing when, and solid when blocked. I am hoping the one of you experts can help. Thanks!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:57:19 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Your model number isn't quite right. The computer came up with this one. Icemaker parts, parts not illustrated replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED5THAXMS00 Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

I would start by checking part 35. The motor module. Many times I find these are broken. The part that holds the big gear on often breaks and or breaks the big gear at the same time. If the gear and motor module seem OK, I would check to make sure water can come in the fill tube. I've seen more than a few of these freeze up inside the tube. If it is you might have to heat it up carefully with a hair dryer to unfreeze it. Check on those things and get back to me.
dthms  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:18:04 AM(UTC)
dthms

Thanks for your reply. The gears seem fine. I took a hair dryer to the hose when I first started working on this, and that didn't work. The thing rotates when jumped, but isn't getting the water. Like I said before, I replaced the optics and the lights were blinking and then solid, but when I just went back to the freezer to check the gears, the stupid light doesn't come on at all now!!!! Ugh!!! I'm ready to use the refrigerator as a boat anchor. The real model number is gd5phaxms10. Sorry about that. Thanks again for any help you can give.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:46:06 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

The basic design is the same. If you are not getting any water, then its either frozen up, the water solenoid is bad, or its not getting any power.

When the icemaker cycles around, you should be able to hear the solenoid open and close. I first check the icemaker solenoid with an ohm meter. It should have a resistance of around 500 or more ohms. Then I usually force the icemaker to cycle and check for voltage at the solenoid. You can also pull the icemaker water line off and make sure water is coming out of the solenoid when it is powered up.

Here's the wiring diagram. http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%202255380.pdf

It looks like "TN" leads from the icemaker solenoid all the way back to the icemaker.

While I have seen bad solenoids, I have seen more water lines that were frozen up. That water line runs through the ceiling of the freezer and then drops down to the icemaker. So it can be frozen up pretty far back in the insulation. It may take quite a while to thaw it out, if it does turn out that you have water at the solenoid but not to the icemaker. Good luck.
dthms  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
dthms

Thanks! We jumped the solenoid and had water come out of the dispencer. Thats tell me the solenoid is good, and the problems are somewhere else, right. What next?
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:13:16 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Try blowing through the icemaker water line. If its clear, that's great, if not then its frozen up.
dthms  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:57:38 PM(UTC)
dthms

Hey Guy. I said the water came through the dispenser, and I ment to say it came out of the line for the ice maker, so we know the line isn't frozen. Any other ideas would be nice. Once again, thanks for your help. I will be at work tomorrow morning and will not be home until Friday morning. If you reply, I won't be able to try repairs until then.
ThatGuy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:23:03 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

If you jumper the wiring harness connector tan wire to black inside the freezer it should turn on the icemaker side of the valve and water should come out inside the freezer. If it does, then you know the icemaker isn't putting out any voltage to the water valve. So the problem is probably your motor module.
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:35:19 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Just behind that big plastic gear are four wiper arms made of copper. they make contact with the cams on the back of that gear. One wiper controls the water fill. Its attached to a small white screw on the side of the icemaker that allows you to vary the amount of water that will fill the icemaker. I'll bet the gear/cam is not making good contact with the wiper arm. I've seen them burnt and I've seen them cracked up.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply