Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bweaver  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 2:40:31 PM(UTC)
bweaver

Groups: Registered

Hi

I have about a 4 year Maytag Neptune MAH9700AWW front loader. After consistently getting "E3" and "b3" error codes in the middle of the cycle, which causes the cycle to stop -- I finally had a Maytag repairman out. I was told I need a new "Motor Control Board", with a repair cost of $460 to have it replaced.

Assuming this is correct, I'd like to see if I can replace the board myself, but I haven't had any luck locating instuctions online or in the service manual for how to do this. Can anyone help?

I also wonder if there are any recommendations as to the best place to get the replacement part. The service estimate listed my cost for just the part at $284, and I'd like to know if I can get a better price, but still at a reputable site.

If anyone also has any thoughts on the worthwhile-ness of doing the repair, I'd be interested in that too. I had one local repairman that I spoke to on the phone tell me that those washers were lemons and I should just invest the money in a new unit. I'd really rather not do that because I like the washer, but would be interested in opinions.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Kohala.Isaac  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 11:04:29 PM(UTC)
Kohala.Isaac

I just replaced the board in my 5 year old Maytag MAH9700 - Never had any problems with it until it started throwing out E3 errors and stopping mid-cycle. The $240 part, including shipping from AppliancePartsPro was cheap and easy to do; if you are handy with a screwdriver, it's all you need. I would recommend the $240 repair, if there are no other problems with the washer. If you have to rely on a repair person plus the cost of the part, then buy a new washer. The new front loader that is equivalent to your current Maytag starts at $700, better than the $1,400 I paid for this one so long ago.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:04:46 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you have a no spin problem, re-post as such, there are cheap fixes for this problem. Also, if the door lock wax motor was never replaced, I would replace it at the same time, these older motors blow out control boards when you have power surges. Best to add a 1000 joule surge protector to the wall outlet for this.
bigmontana  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 4:34:57 AM(UTC)
bigmontana

I hate to reply countering another person trying to help but as the previous response sent me on a goose chase I thought I would add for other searchers. This is NOT related to the no spin problems (google for "maytag R-11") of various model numbers below the 9700. The mah9700 has a different motherboard and does not have the same fixes so this fix is indeed Easy but not cheap (well $240 or so). If you have assembled or replaced batteries in a baby toy you can do this no problem. The 9700 does not appear to have the wax motor problems either. Definitely get the recall plug if you haven't already MAYTAG - Washer Recall Oh and there is no motor control board on this washer there is only the main board
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2022 11:07:49 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The fact that this discussion is 10 years old probably means time for new washer as mine must be about 20 years old! But since I have it apart.... will ask anyways! Maybe the question will help someone else with ancient machine.

Maytag Neptune front load washer probably circa early 2000. MAH9700AWW

ISSUE: not draining. About 2-3 months ago, had draining issue, and I unclogged the drain pipe, and then it worked. (Pet household). Have previously removed a quarter from drain pump in past.

This week, the washer started not draining/spinning, and stopped at minute 9 in spin cycle countdown. Drain pipe is clear. So I replaced the pump motor with non-OEM model from Amazon. ( [url=https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VGSZMXA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details] Was hopeful as washer spun and on 11 minute rinse/spin cycle it counted down further to minute 7 before new error message of nd.

So, I'm now suspecting the sensor, which it doesn't make sense to replace as 1) part seems not available and 2) cost $200-$250.

I did "blow in the hose connection to the water level pressure switch" as someone recommended. Did not replace this switch.

I don't think this model has a wax motor that would be affordable if replaceable.

Door lock mechanism seems to be working.

Reconnected the control panel "wires" to be sure not loose.

Any ideas welcome, but I'm probably off to look for sales! :-)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply