Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drainpros  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 8:14:56 AM(UTC)
drainpros

Groups: Registered

i walked in my house on saturday and i smell gas i took the front plate off the dryer and got my gas sniffer out to find the leak . (im a plumber) i know its coming from the gas valve on the dryer i think its stuck open can someone tell me what the fix is thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:59:42 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
These valves are very reliable. I would tighten the gas line fittings and use soapy water to check for leaks at the fittings.
drainpros  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:28:10 AM(UTC)
drainpros

its coming out of the end where gas comes out when its on like its stuck open
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:04:36 PM(UTC)
magician59

Replace the coils, then recheck for leak. Part number: AP2150379
drainpros  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:28:47 PM(UTC)
drainpros

is that the only thing it could be ?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:42:48 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Very rare for the gas valve to stick open. If it is, I would not replace the coils, there is probably something mechanically bad inside the valve itself and should be relaced. New coils could jar it free, but I would not trust it.
drainpros  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:52:57 PM(UTC)
drainpros

new valve and it works fine thanks
Papa_omero  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2014 6:40:59 AM(UTC)
Papa_omero

I found this post and am hoping to get a response.

Our GE DVLR223GT gas dryer had a very unusual event. When the load was finished, the motor stopped but the gas flame failed to shut off. My wife said she had noticed the clothes seemed overly hot and that the top of the dryer was like the top of a stove. She unplugged the unit and left the door open so that it could cool. Checking back later, it was even hotter, so she turned off the gas valve. Before turning off the gas, she looked under the unit and saw the reflection of the flame on the floor, which we are aware we can see, and she saw that the flame was on.

Since this event, we have tested the unit carefully and it performs normally; starting, cycling and shutting off. We called a technician, who basically said, "Do you want to spend $500 with me or get a new unit?" He billed us $75 for the advice and left.

I have since opened the unit and all is well inside. There are no burnt wires or evidence of fire or overheating. I am assuming that we have a problem with the valve body, but how could this happen on a one-time manner? Is it possible to get dirt in the gas (propane, actually) line and have deposits in the valve seats? I did have this happen with a washer and it caused a flood in the house. As with the dryer, it was a one time event. Since the dryer has a dual valve mechanism, to have this problem you would need both valves to be stuck open, which seems highly unlikely.

Needless to say, this has not left us with a really comfortable feeling towards gas dryers.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply