Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ArmyPilot  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 5:34:09 PM(UTC)
ArmyPilot

Groups: Registered

The dryer works but does not heat. After inspecting I found one wire on the power cord had burned and broke. Replaced the cord with a new one only to hear a popping sound and the smell of burnt wire. My question is what wires connect directly to the power block so I can replace that item and prevent damage or a fire. Wires don't just over heat an cause a fuse to pop. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:06:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is a parts breakdown
Replacement parts for DLB3400SLBWH models | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]The dryer works but does not heat. After inspecting I found one wire on the power cord had burned and broke. Replaced the cord with a new one only to hear a popping sound and the smell of burnt wire. My question is what wires connect directly to the power block so I can replace that item and prevent damage or a fire.[/COLOR]
Depends if it is 1 3 wire or 4 wire hook up. The norm is 3 wire.
3 wire hook up is Black to one side, white in the middle and red to the pother side. Also there should be a ground strap from the center terminal (white/Neutral) to the machines frame.
Should only need replacing if there is evidence that it has overheated.
If the wires from the machine to the terminal block have over heated they will have to be cut back till you get to nice clean copper or replaced.

[COLOR="Blue"]Wires don't just over heat an cause a fuse to pop.[/COLOR]
Not sure what you mean by the above.
Did it blow a fuse or did it not?

You will have to open the unit up and find the problem does sound like you have a short somewhere.

Check the heater.
Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, usually around 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it.

Here is a site with good repair help.
Note that Hotpoint is GE. It is difficult to get tech info on theses units as GE likes to keep it a secret. The link does have a couple examples of how GE wires a unit. If you do not have the wiring diagram look in the control console, they like to store them in there.
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryers.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ArmyPilot  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:34:43 AM(UTC)
ArmyPilot

Groups: Registered

It wasn't until after I had replaced the coil I discovered that the black wire on the power block was burnt. This dryer has a automatic reset safety fuse. Thank you for the information.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply