Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kendra65  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 10:49:54 AM(UTC)
kendra65

Groups: Registered

I have a 5 year old Maytag Neptune TL top loading washing machine. The fabric softener compartment isn't flushing. The compartment isn't clogged...I checked. The problem is that water is not coming through holes in the upper right corner of the machine lid to flush the compartment. The bleach dispenser (which is on the left side of the machine) has water flushing that. It's just the flow to the right that isn't working. In the small space between the machine and the hinges of the lid I can see the 3 small white tubes that send water from the machine through the lid in varying directions...which then flushes the respective bleach/soap/softener compartments. I can see that the tube on the right (which sends water to the softener compartment) is bone dry...so water apparently isn't flowing through it.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to repair it? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

dh1200s  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 11:46:35 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

kendra65,

What is you model number? If it’s a FAV6800A or FAV9800A (sounds like it) I’ll try to help. Always post your model number with the issue….Rich
dh1200s  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 7:50:22 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

looked at my FAV6800A when I got home this evening and I feel this is the model you are talking about. This is the Dispenser valve for the FAV6800A/ FAV9800A.

I would go into Service Mode and turn on the Softener dispenser valve. Do you hear it click when you turn it on in Service Mode? If you don’t hear the Softener dispenser valve open and you feel qualified to troubleshoot 120VAC in the machine. I would take a DVM and make sure you see 120VAC supplied to the Softener dispenser valve solenoid from relay K10 on the Control Board. If you don’t see 120VAC on the Softener solenoid valve we may have an issue with connections from the Control Board to the Softener solenoid valve or a defective relay function on the Control Board. Here is the Service Manual for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A. See page 16 of the SM to turn on the Fabric Softener Valve. Post back if you have questions.
dh1200s  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 7:54:54 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

""I would take a DVM and make sure you see 120VAC supplied to the Softener dispenser valve solenoid from relay K10 on the Control Board""

Sorry that's K5 on the Control Board.
igaum7  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:27:31 PM(UTC)
igaum7

My problem is similar to the one the OP describes.
After reading this post, this is what I know so far:

*The fabric softener dispenser reservoir does not drain.

*The dispenser valve check (as done via service mode) seems to be ok.
I say seems to be because it is not so much of a 'click' as it is an 'engagement' like a solenoid. The sound I get when I press Wrinkle Release to activate the valve is a solid 'hum' that stays on until I press the button again to deactivate.

*I am not able to say with certainty whether or not water actually makes it to the reservoir.

Not sure what to check next.

I have the FAV6800.
dh1200s  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 3:35:09 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

""*The fabric softener dispenser reservoir does not drain.""

You can clean out the drain port with something like pipe cleaners Q-Tips.

If you fill the reservoir with a cup of water it should flow out. I'm at work right now I can't spend much time now.

I found an old post for the procedure for checking out for water flow to the Fabric dispenser. I forgot to have you turn on the cold water valve first then turn on the fill valve for the Fabric Softner valve for 5 seconds and see if the paper towel indicates water flow into the dispenser reservoir.

Try this process to confirm water flow into the dispenser in service mode.

1. Enter Service Mode;

2. Press Delicates key LED display indicates ot (Board Output Test)something like that and the lid locks will lock.

3. Press Spin key and the Cold water inlet valve opens and water flows into the wash tub thru the dispenser valve assembly.

4. Press Wrinkle Control key and water is diverted to the Fabric Softener reservoir as verified by wet paper towel........ I hope

Just an FYI.......If you release the washer top from the base to observe this be very careful water will spray everywhere.
igaum7  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:21:03 PM(UTC)
igaum7

This helps alot. Running a small load to test now.

Was able to successfully test water flow to the reservoir via the service mode and paper towel method you describe.

I also thoroughly cleaned out the entire reservoir. It appears I have decent flow now... hence the small load run.

I'm feeling good this is working now, though.

You have been most helpful.
Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply