Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ganzhimself  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:52:55 PM(UTC)
ganzhimself

Groups: Registered

I bought a house, which came with an older Maytag washing machine and gas dryer. I figure on replacing them eventually with a set of fancy front loaders... But until then I'd like to continue using what I have. It seems that my LA512 is leaking water when the washer is draining water. It appears to be coming from the front right corner (if facing the washer from the front) where there is a clear assembly that has one hose running from the tub and one running out to the drain. Not sure what that assembly is called, but it appears that it is leaking at the tub hose inlet. It's not a huge leak, but enough to cause me some concern. I have a plastic washing machine tray under it now to prevent water damage to the floor, but I'd like to fix the problem before it worsens. Any ideas on how I could tackle this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ganzhimself  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:57:06 PM(UTC)
ganzhimself

Ok, after looking around at some diagrams of this washer, it appears that it's the pump that's leaking. Any ideas as to why it would leak at the inlet?
nobleelectronics  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:06:17 PM(UTC)
nobleelectronics

if its only leaking at the drain cycle i would suspect the drain hose connection inside the cabinet because if it was leaking at the wash cycle where its pumping water all the time it would be leaking constantly but with you saying only when it drains, give the drain hose a really good inspection also you might want to inspect the siphon break.
ganzhimself  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 4:49:12 AM(UTC)
ganzhimself

I will inspect the drain hose coming from the tub to the pump inlet. I just ran it through a fill and drain, didn't run through an entire wash cycle, but it was definately leaking at or near the inlet when the pump was draining water from the tub. I'll pull the front panel off again tonight and run a load through and watch for leaks during the entire run.
ganzhimself  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 5:22:48 PM(UTC)
ganzhimself

Well, I inspected the pump assembly while the washer went through the whole cycle, and it appears to be leaking at the seam of the pump, possibly at the inlet too. Looks like I'll be replacing the pump for sure.
ganzhimself  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:03:17 AM(UTC)
ganzhimself

I have a new pump to replace the leaking one, how can I completely drain the pump without making a huge mess? It is full of water. I turned the water supply off, but it didn't fully drain... Or do I just have to hope for the best and try not to make a huge mess when I remove it?
nobleelectronics  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:04:06 PM(UTC)
nobleelectronics

a shop vac might help you out here there really is no easy way to drain it
ganzhimself  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:49:10 PM(UTC)
ganzhimself

I pulled the top drain hose off and was able to pour enough of the water from the pump out into a bucket to not make a huge mess. I installed the new pump and ran it through a cycle and it appears to be fixed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply