Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekoll  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
mikekoll

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Eterna side by side refrigerator freezeer. The regrigerator is freezing the food. I have set both the freezer and regrigerator control down to 1 (9 being the coldest) and it is still freezing. For example took out a half gallon of milk that was frozen solid. Not sure what to replace. I suspect a temperature sensor. Looked at the drawing on this site. Looks like there are two sensors. Not sure where they are located? Do you get to them from back or inside the refrigerator? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jimnphx  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:51:26 AM(UTC)
jimnphx

Hello,

I was just ready to post the same thing. I just finished replacing the water tank in the fridge because it froze then cracked!
I have my fridge down to 2 and the freezer at 4. When I took the water tank out it was frozen solid! The veggies in the crisper are too . . .

This does not help with your question but if you have a water dispenser be careful.

Please post any solutions you may find and I will too.

Jim
mikekoll  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 12:45:59 PM(UTC)
mikekoll

Jim,

I think I know where the problem lies, but fixing it is another issue. In some previous posts I saw people talking about a damper problem. The damper assembly is located behind the overhead light. In order to get to it, I took down the light assembly because you can't really see the damper through the hole with the light in the way. I am attaching a couple of pictures. One picture is what my refrigerator looks like with the light up and everything together. The other is with the light assembly down. You can then see this small square hole. If you look into the back of that hole you will see a small damper (little black flap). Mine looks like it is not attached.

Now here is the problem I am having. The top part of the assembly is loose once you take out the light. But I can't seem to get the bottom part out. If you look at the picture before I disassebled the light you will see a seam in the white plastic. I was hoping the the part above this seam which is part of the assembly would just pull out. But it does not. Below the seam is another part with baffles for letting cold air out. That seems to be held in by a screw or something. I can not figure out how to get that part out. I am concerned that if I pull to hard on the upper part I will crack it.

By the way, the part to fix this is a damper assembly for about $90. The picture shown in the parts section seems to be upside down. I don't mind buying the part, but I need to know how to take the old one out before I commit to buying the part. Perhaps someone with more experience can help me out here. Hope this helps.innerbeargDSCF0729.jpg

seals8x6DSCF0732.JPG
mikekoll attached the following image(s):
040.jpg
039.jpg
jimnphx  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 4:59:08 PM(UTC)
jimnphx

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I hope you resolve this challenge and are able to get your fridge back up and running correctly.
I had an interesting turn with my fridge. After turning down both the fridge and freezer due to constant freezing, everything started to thaw in the freezer and the fridge started to get warm. I had to up the settings to get it back to normal. Now everything is frozen in the freezer and the fridge is cold. Fingers are crossed that the fridge does not start freezing up. I would hate to have to buy a $100 part. (If that is even it with me.)

Good luck

Jim
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply