Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mikerim  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:01:46 PM(UTC)
Mikerim

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile Artica (Model # PSS25NGMD CC) which has a digital thermostat inside the unit. I have the refrigerator portion set at the recommended temperature (37 degrees), however, it will fluctuate between 30-37 degrees; which is freezing the food. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for you help!

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Smart67  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:55:20 PM(UTC)
Smart67

It cost me $275.00 to learn this one. In the back and the top of the refigerator side is a fan assembly with a damper door that controls the flow of cold air around the box side. These Jack Welsh refrigerators are notorious for the damper door failure where there's a constant flow of cold air into the box. Box temperature remains around 30-34 and your vegetables freeze. It isn't the thermostat or the defrost feature at all. It's that fan/damper door assembly - which is $250.00! Labor was cheap. It's the GE part that's expensive. GE will not license the aftermarket to make these parts. It aggressively goes after companies that try. So, when you buy a GE appliance, you're stuck with GE parts only.

Bottom line with GE is - it ain't what it used to be. Jack Welsh's desire to make stock holders happy left consumers holding the bag. I hate the man for what he did to GE customers. GE appliances are junk - not the high quality pieces they used to be. Although Consumer Reports rates the Arctica Profile high, ours has cost us a fortune in repairs time and time again since we bought it in 2002. Problem areas? Ice maker, box temperature, water in the door (quit working). Ice maker gives us chipped ice instead of cubed ice. It quits working. Then, it's working. It's the second ice maker for us. I will never buy a GE appliance again.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:22:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would ignore Smart67 comments, not providing much help. From your sympoms, you have bad fresh food thermisters. I jamed damper door is unlikely as it would allways stay open. You can locate the thermisters by refering to the assembly breakown available on this parts site.Your thermisters are available on this site AP3185407
Smart67  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:34:19 AM(UTC)
Smart67

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would ignore Smart67 comments, not providing much help. From your sympoms, you have bad fresh food thermisters. I jamed damper door is unlikely as it would allways stay open. You can locate the thermisters by refering to the assembly breakown available on this parts site.Your thermisters are available on this site AP3185407

This information came from a trusted appliance repair guy whom I've used for years who knows GE appliances. The damper door was broken at the pivot point, causing cold air to envelope my veggies in the veggie drawer. It is a common problem with these Arctica Profile side by sides. In what way are you qualified to comment?
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:23:23 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I own a appliance business and I fix these particular refrigerators every week, sort of rare to get a jamed damper door, more probable a thermister is bad.
Customer needs a level headed diagnosis based on experience, knowledge, and what the symtoms are and not a speculative one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply