Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2024 9:05:12 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Kitchenaid Refrigerator KBSD608ESS01
Problem: Ice chute icing up & clogging after about two weeks. Refrigerator otherwise works perfectly. After cleaning the chute, dispensing is perfect. But we notice after a few days that cubes start getting chopped and things start to slow down. Looking up the chute, we can see ice forming on the sides of the upper chute AND in the bottom of the ice reservoir (but no frost in the ice bucket.) After frost starts building up the ice starts clogging up the upper chute. When we pull the bucket to clean, we find it frozen to the door. We also find the whole underneath of the bucket seriously frosted up. But the ice reservoir is frost free.
This is a 48” wide side by side. The freezer door has Ice (cube & crushed) & water dispenser. Approx 4 years old. Had this problem since day one, but covid as well as lack of local warranty service and lack of Kitchenaid support has left me to figure this out.
Some observations:
Ice is fully formed & frozen
Ice does not get melted in the bucket. Even at the bottom of the bucket.
Chute door closes firmly and tightly. It will retain water. Never drips, even though we often find water in there. – one note, there is no water until frost starts building up. Once there is frost in the upper chute we’ll get some water first when dispensing ice. Maybe a couple of tablespoons worth. Usually we see this in the mornings.
Fridge otherwise works perfectly. Never any ice build up in the freezer – and I’ve checked, even behind the liner.
We typically dispense cubes. If we dispense crushed, we dispense some cubes to clear the crushed ice out.
We also tried just dispensing crushed ice but the frosting and clogging happens.
I notice that often after cleaning there will be no frost build up for several days and the one morning there will be frost in the upper chute that quickly builds up until it starts blocking ice dispensing. Almost like there is a defrost cycle triggering this and that once it happens it can't recover.
I put two temp sensors in the fridge to track temps. Freezer is set to 0. Temp seems to bounce around between zero and 10F. However often overnight I would see a temp spike but it only spiked to about 15 degrees. I set the unit to -4 for a while. No effect.

Is this a problem? The chute has an upper plastic liner that covers the lower plastic chute. I notice that it is VERY poorly sealed to the lower chute. The walls of the upper liner bulge inwards and there are gaps between the upper chute liner walls and the lower chute liner. However the freezer door appears to be fully insulated.
My first thought is to remove the upper chute liner and then re-glue it in place. I’ll plan on cutting some shims that I can place in there as the adhesive dries to insure the chute wall seams are all closed up.
My question is, what adhesive would you recommend? This will be plastic to plastic though there is some plastic to foam too. (The plastic to foam points are minimal.)
Any questions, thoughts or suggestions?
I will greatly appreciate any assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.