Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2024 7:47:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a GE dryer made in 2009 with a three prong cord that I have been fixing up. I tested the housing with a voltage pen with the dryer turned on and discovered that the housing was charged. Also discovered the dryer did not have a grounding strap. Does this mean there is a short somewhere, or are the older dryers just not insulated from housing? After installing the grounding strap to the neutral, the housing is no longer charged. However, the voltage pen still beeps and flashes when placing it near the timer knob when the dryer is turned on. The only metal on the knob is a ring around the plastic. Cant detect any voltage with a volt meter. Is this normal? Is the voltage pen really picking up a charge, or just magnetic field created by the little dryer timer motor as it turns?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.