Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 9:11:14 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The above model dryer with s/n 10639403SS was returned to me after being sold to a customer a few weeks back due to a growl at start up and eventually a problem of not starting the drum turning with a load of heavy wet clothes. I have seen this problem before on other machines and sometimes it was corrected by removing the motor and lubing the motor bearings. The bearing next to the blower wheel eventually gets a lot of dirt inside that is almost impossible to flush out. The motor used is normally adequate with good starting torque but since this unit is a 29" wide version it takes more power and will not handle a load of heavy wet clothes after many years of use. I took the motor out and tried to flush the bearings out by standing it up vertically in a bench vise but when it was reinstalled it still produced the growl. Unless I get really lucky I will replace the motor. If any other techs have some useful info or comments on this problem I would appreciate hearing from you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

WilliamM/APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2024 2:14:39 PM(UTC)
WilliamM/APP Team

Groups: Moderators, APP Team, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Replacing the motor would be the correct fix in this situation. Clearing the bearings only provides a very temporary reprieve from operational failures.
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2024 3:02:25 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

THe original motor in this model dyer is a 1/4HP and after many years of use the bearings are worn out. A newer 1/3 HP motor
I have available may fit and work and will be tried but it will require a lot of work to make it fit. If I can make it work I will post the results here.
#4 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 9:52:32 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

After some careful measurements and consideration I was able to use a 1/3 HP motor from an older Speed Queen unit in place of the original worn out 1/4 HP unit. It did not fit perfectly but only required a minor amount of rework to the belt Tension arm and anchor point for the spring. The wiring at the motor connection points had to be reworked since the original Maytag motor used a modular plug and the replacement motor uses discrete connections. The instruction sheet I got from my local dealer (W10408722) provided all the necessary info. The dryer no longer has any growl at start up.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply