Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RJ539  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2024 9:00:21 AM(UTC)
RJ539

Groups: Registered
United States

I have thoroughly cleaned the motor (Mod. S58NXMRK-6797), fan, and scroll; exhaust vent to outside is free of lint. I have oiled both bearings and motor spins freely, without any excess play or looseness in bearings. Both "start" and "run" windings indicate good continuity and show ~3.4 ohms resistance, each. The centrifugally actuated start/run switch operates normally, with 0.1 ohms internal resistance, but there is some evidence of contact point arcing: I cleaned the contacts with emery cloth.

When cold, the motor starts the drum spinning, but with a loud 60Hz growl. Once the "run" circuit is energized, the motor initially sounds normal, with just a 60Hz hum. As the motor warms up, the 60Hz hum grows somewhat louder, with the motor possibly making it through a few reversing cycles, with a 1-2 sec. "growl" initiating each restart. Then at some point in the timed drying cycle (10-20 min. typ.), the motor growls for 4-6 sec., and fails to restart.

I can open the door, hold the door switch, give the drum a spin, and get the motor to start (w/ a growl) and then run. But shortly afterwards, and generally on the next reversing cycle, it will once again fail to restart. At that time, I do notice a fairly strong "electrical" smell, indicating that something is warmer than it should be. The drum spins freely by hand, and has a new rear bear bearing and front glide strip.

EVERYTHING I read says I should replace the motor, but a replacement motor is no longer available. AND I am not convinced the motor is at fault. I have not measured the motor current, but from the nominal winding resistance readings I've measured, I'd expect the motor current to be normal.

Can the motor be "bad", and still indicate nominal winding resistance values?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.