Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2023 6:47:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was given this dryer with s/n MW3748590 for repair due to no heat and no rotation of the drum. The thermal fuse was blown presumably due to a clogged external vent tube. The thermal fuse was replaced and the unit produced heat and rotated the drum properly. However When the unit was turning the drum a thumping noise was heard and was noted at each revolution of the drum .The drum was removed and no significant problem was noted except for some wear of the rear drum felt seal. The front internal drum support ring made of plastic was in place and not cracked or split. I suspect the drum is slightly out of round and that is causing the thump when the drum lateral seam passes over a bump in the seal. Does anyone have info about this type of problem on this type of dryer by Kenmore ? Opinions are requested.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 9:08:43 AM(UTC)

United States

After discussing this problem area with my local dealer I took this unit apart again. He had suggested I look carefully at the front drum plastic support rings which are on the inside of the drum. These are made in 2 pieces and are installed in the drum by small friction clips . They are interchangeable one for the other.. I took them out and checked them carefully and put them back in place but in the opposite positions as before. No damage was noted. When the unit was restarted the same thump is present. In checking the drum it appears to be out of round but I have no way to check this . If it is out of round I have no way to correct it except to replace the drum. If anyone has a suggestion for a way to fix this unit with the thump noise which by the way operates and heats very well I am hoping to hear from anyone.
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 1:16:00 PM(UTC)

United States

Today I was able to check a similar dryer that uses the same drum design and although it is a Maytag it has no problem in the drum rotation. It was noted that the rear drum seal is more robust as compared to the Kenmore and I suspect the seal is a factor in the thumping noise coming from the Kenmore.
#4 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2023 12:00:33 PM(UTC)

United States

With the good fortune and help from my local appliance dealer I was able to retrieve a Whirlpool gas dryer model WGD4800XQ0 that uses the same design drum as the Kenmore . The door is a swing type but it works on the unit in question With no significant problem. The original door is a drop down type. I very carefully changed out the drum and the door to evaluate the thumping noise. Much to my dismay the noise is still there although it is slightly less. About the only thing left of the original unit that would affect the drum rotation is the rear support. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a remedy to this noise problem ? The unit turns the drum properly and heats well.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2023 5:09:15 AM(UTC)

United States

Just to update the info on this problem I took the unit apart one more time and although I could not see a significant bump or hump to one drum roller I changed it out anyhow. The replacement support roller I used was not the same design as the original . It is an older design from a Maytag dryer that has a flat surface of the roller at the contact area for the drum. It fits on the shaft OK and runs true. It is a better design but more probably more costly than the round surface type where it contacts the drum. The unit was reassembled and tested and the thump noise was gone . If anyone needs to see pictures of these two different support rollers send me a message at my e-mail which is jaybird@mtco.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply