Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2023 5:27:34 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the forum. It has helped me more than a few times with my appliances.

I'd like to start a list of desirable older, American made washing machines, I'm tired of buying new, overcomplicated junk. I have zero need of controlling my machine from a phone, I don't need fancy displays or touch screens.

Could experienced people please share their opinions on which machines combine parts availability with simplicity/quality? If I know which models to look for I'll start hunting for them and get off of the new appliance carousel.

If this is an inappropriate use of this forum please delete.

Thanks again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2023 9:09:24 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

The better ones on the used market are older Maytag, whirlpool, and Kenmore .If you can afford them, Speed Queen units are also very good and have a long life but can be costly to repair if the bearings go bad on the top load type. You can normally tell the age of a Speed Queen by the first 2 digits of the S/N which is the year it was built. Stay away from the Samsung and LG brands and any of the newer USA produced units using the same designs as the foreign branded units. I work on all the older USA built units quite often and they are easy and not too costly to repair. One to avoid is the front load LG which sometimes fails the drum because it is made of very thin material. It will start to tear apart at the rear edge and cant be repaired due to being so thin of material .
Hope this is of help to you in your efforts
#3 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2023 3:55:31 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
The better ones on the used market are older Maytag, whirlpool, and Kenmore .If you can afford them, Speed Queen units are also very good and have a long life but can be costly to repair if the bearings go bad on the top load type. You can normally tell the age of a Speed Queen by the first 2 digits of the S/N which is the year it was built. Stay away from the Samsung and LG brands and any of the newer USA produced units using the same designs as the foreign branded units. I work on all the older USA built units quite often and they are easy and not too costly to repair. One to avoid is the front load LG which sometimes fails the drum because it is made of very thin material. It will start to tear apart at the rear edge and cant be repaired due to being so thin of material .
Hope this is of help to you in your efforts

So it sounds like then I can't go wrong if I just find an older, but not too old, made in USA May/Whirl/Ken set. I will keep my eyes open for a cosmetically nice functioning set. Thank you for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply