Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2023 3:35:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was given the above Amana dryer a few days ago with the caution that it needed repair. This unit is similar to many I have worked in the past in that the motor growls at startup . This is a pronounced growl due to the bearings getting worn especially the one near the blower wheel presumably due to dirt working into the bearing. The back bearing does not get much dirt into it due to its location away from the blower wheel. I have on occasion been able to take the motor out of the unit and spray penetrant into this front bearing to free it up. Is there a way to dismantle this motor and replace the bearing ? It looks like it is not possible without destroying the housing. Anyone have some suggestions ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2023 4:44:19 AM(UTC)

United States

Although it did not improve the problem I checked the front drum support slippers on the back of the bulkhead to see if they were worn much. When these get worn badly the drum will start to rub on the blower housing at the front and will actually start to cut a groove in the drum. The extra torque required to start the drum rotating and the growl of the motor are a factor in the problem of starting. This unit had the older design brown slipper pads which were worn badly. Newer units use a blue teflon type material which lasts longer. I replaced the original slipper pads on this unit but motor growl is still present at startup which indicates worn and/or dirty motor bearings.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2023 5:15:47 AM(UTC)

United States

I now also have an electric type Maytag dryer with model number LDE9306ACE and s/n 10639403SS that has the same problem as many others with advanced hours accumulated. When I dismantled it to check for the cause of the growl at startup I found it had a LOT of dirt in behind the blower wheel. Removal of the motor from its mounting cradle showed a lot of dirt had eventually worked into the bearing on this end of the motor causing the shaft to be hard to turn. A penetrant oil was squirted into the bearing end face while the motor was supported vertically in/on my bench vise. Since the bearing is a sealed type the penetrant was allowed to accumulate in the shaft end recess while rotating the motor frame while the shaft in held vertically in the vise jaws. After about 5 minutes of this effort the motor shaft was free to rotate better than I originally found it. The motor was put back into the machine, reconnected electrically, and restarted. Some improvement was noted but the growl is still there but reduced at startup. I am asking other techs if the motors used in dryers can be dismantled to replace the bearings especially the one at the blower wheel end. Any comments would be appreciated.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply