Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 11:08:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
When washing clothes today, I noticed that the washer wasn't doing any type of movement on the wash cycle and I could hear this combination buzzing/clicking sound about every 1 - 1.5 seconds (right when it moved to the WASH cycle). I also noticed what smelled like burnt rubber. It wasn't real strong, but definitely wasn't electrical.

I drained the water in the unit, tipped it on its face, took off the shroud and saw the belt was still on and still tight. I also grabbed the large pulled and confirmed it would easily rotate, but I think I only did that in one direction.

You can click the link below to listen to the sound it's making:

I did some more digging and it seems like it could be a bad clutch. Is this type of condition and sound indicative of a bad clutch?

This is a 6 year old Maytag MVWC415EW2

Thanks,

Andy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2023 12:36:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This problem turned out to be the actuator. For mine, the plastic "hook"/arm was very loose and could be moved back and forth very easily. It's not supposed to move at all. This is a very easy fix for my model (Maytag model# MVWC415EW20). Plenty of videos showing the steps to replace it. Basic steps (for my particular model) are:

Remove any clothes that may be in the bucket/tub. Best to ring them out in the washing machine itself, then throw them in a bucket.

Run the washing machine through the Drain & Spin cycle to empty as much water as possible.

Shut off the hot and cold water taps.

Slowly pull out the washing machine and toss a couple of old towels down to catch any water.

Pull the washing machine out enough to pull the power plug, then unscrew the hoses and remove them, along with the drain hose. Try to drain the water left in the hoses and drain hose into a small bucket. A little will come out, so be prepared.

Get some painters tape and tape the lid shut.

Pull the washing machine out enough so you can tip it on its front.

Remove the two nuts holding the plastic shroud in place.

Take a look at the plastic "hook"/arm of the actuator and note how it fits into a plastic "loop" that's part of the clutch assembly.

Using a Philips head screwdriver, remove the two green screws holding the actuator in place.

One the actuator is loose, press the white tab to disconnect the electrical connection.

Plug the connector into the new actuator.

On the back of the actuator are two black "tips" that must align in the body of the washing machine. At this point, all you need to do is make sure those black tips align properly and the small plastic "hook" slides into the plastic loop noted earlier.

Screw in the new unit using the green screws removed earlier.

Put the shroud back on.

Reconnect the hoses (including the drain hose) and test.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply